The Grand Canyon Antelopes (9-7, 2-1 WAC) will be at UTRGV Fieldhouse to square off against the UT Rio Grande Valley Vaqueros (9-9, 1-1 WAC) in a WAC matchup. The game is scheduled to start at 8 p.m. ET on Saturday, January 12, 2019.
Grand Canyon Antelopes at UT Rio Grande Valley Vaqueros ATS Odds
Both teams were beaten in their last contest. The Vaqueros lost to the Bakersfield Roadrunners, 75-69, while the Antelopes lost a winnable game to the New Mexico State Aggies, 77-75.
Grand Canyon did a fantastic job of making free throws (11-15; 73.3 percent) while UT Rio Grande Valley forced Bakersfield into a turnover percentage of 23.1 (above their season average of 16.6). Javon Levi led the way for UT Rio Grande Valley, putting up 15 points and seven assists. Oscar Frayer, meanwhile was a key piece for Grand Canyon with 15 points.
This series was highly competitive last year. Each won one of the two games played against each other last season. In the most recent contest, the Vaqueros won 83-81. The Vaqueros’ offensive rebounding percentage was their biggest strength over the Antelopes. UT Rio Grande Valley had a rate of 29.7, while Grand Canyon posted a mark of 23.3. This will be the first contest of the year between these two teams.
This game should be a battle of contrasting styles. UT Rio Grande Valley likes to play fast (77th in possessions per game), while Grand Canyon is more half-court-oriented (234th in possessions per game).
Grand Canyon at UT Rio Grande Valley Betting Pick
Prediction: SU Winner – UT Rio Grande Valley, O/U – Under
- Grand Canyon ranks 73rd in rebounds allowed per game (33.3) while UT Rio Grande Valley ranks 262nd (41.6).
- The Antelopes rank 30th in assists allowed per game (10.6) while the Vaqueros rank 137th (13.5).
- The Vaqueros rank eighth in steals per game (9.8) while the Antelopes rank 136th (5.8).
- Grand Canyon ranks 134th in three pointers attempted per game (22.9) while UT Rio Grande Valley ranks 252nd (18.5).
- During their last five games, the Vaqueros have scored an average of 67.6 points per game (1.2 below their season average) and allowed an average of 73.8 points per game (2.9 above their season average).
- The Antelopes’ average margin of victory in their last five games has been 8.2, up from 5.1 for the season.