The Southern University Jaguars (3-12, 0-2 SWAC) welcome the Grambling State Tigers (8-7, 2-0 SWAC) to F.G. Clark Center. The Jaguars will attempt to snap their eight-game losing streak. Action begins at 6:30 p.m. ET on Saturday, January 11, 2020.
Grambling State Tigers at Southern University Jaguars Betting Odds
In their last game, the Jaguars fell to the Prairie View A&M Panthers, 64-54, while the Tigers defeated the Alabama State Hornets, 68-63.
The Tigers made 16 of their 22 free throws (72.7 percent) and had a much better offensive rebounding percentage (31.4 vs. 21.6). Southern University, meanwhile, had a much better offensive rebounding percentage (38.5 vs. 28.6). Southern University rallied around Damiree Burns, who recorded 12 points and five rebounds. Cameron Christon played a key role for Grambling State with 13 points and six rebounds.
The Tigers dominated this series last year, emerging victorious in both contests. In the most recent matchup, Grambling State won 59-40. One of Grambling State’s biggest advantages was getting to the free throw line. They made 25 trips to the line, while Southern University went just nine times. This is the first time these teams will meet this year.
This has potential to be a sloppy game for the offense of Southern University. Southern University ranks 264th in the nation in ball protection (turnover percentage of 20.8 percent), while the pesky defense of Grambling State forces the 92nd-most turnovers in the nation (21.6 percent).
Grambling State Tigers vs. Southern University Jaguars Pick
Pick: SU Winner – Grambling State, ATS Winner – Grambling State, O/U – Over
- Southern University ranks 40th in three pointers allowed per game (18.7) while Grambling State ranks 174th (23.1).
- The Tigers rank 50th in blocks allowed per game (2.8) while the Jaguars rank 112th (3.7).
- Grambling State averages 38.4 rebounds per game, which ranks 73rd in the nation. Southern University ranks 113th in rebounds allowed per game (34.5).
- The Tigers rank 41st in steals per game (8.3) while the Jaguars rank 140th (6.3).
- Grambling State averages 14.8 assists per game, which ranks 65th in the nation. Southern University ranks 128th in assists allowed per game (12.7).
- During their last five games, the Tigers have scored an average of 69.0 points per game (7.9 below their season average) and allowed an average of 70.2 points per game (1.1 below their season average).
- The Jaguars’ average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 14.0, up from 6.6 for the season.