The 23rd-ranked BYU Cougars (22-7, 11-3 WCC) wrap up their home schedule at Marriott Center against the second-ranked Gonzaga Bulldogs (27-1, 13-0 WCC). Action gets underway at 10 p.m. ET on Saturday, February 22, 2020, and can be seen on ESPN2.
Gonzaga Bulldogs at BYU Cougars ATS Odds
Both teams were victorious over their last opponent. The Cougars defeated the Santa Clara Broncos 85-75, while the Bulldogs beat the San Francisco Dons 71-54.
Gonzaga dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had a free throw rate of 0.138 (below their season average of 0.269) and an effective field goal percentage of 0.543 (below their season average of 0.580). For those same stats, San Francisco had marks of 0.061 and 0.379, respectively. Meanwhile, BYU played a nearly perfect game. They had an offensive rebounding percentage of 26.3 (above their season average of 20.1) and a turnover percentage of 8.4 (better than their season average of 14.6). For those same stats, Santa Clara was 11.4 and 14.0, respectively. BYU received a boost from Yoeli Childs, who contributed 22 points and 11 rebounds. Killian Tillie, meanwhile played a pivotal role for Gonzaga with 22 points and nine rebounds.
In their first matchup this year, Tillie led the Bulldogs to a 92-69 win. He notched a double-double with 22 points and 10 rebounds. Gonzaga out-rebounded BYU. The Bulldogs had nine offensive rebounds and 37 total rebounds, while the Cougars had one and 21, respectively.
This battle pits one of the nation’s top offenses against one of its elite defenses. BYU currently ranks fifth in offensive efficiency and Gonzaga ranks 20th in defensive efficiency. Additionally, the Bulldogs are among the NCAA’s best on the offensive backboards, ranking 47th in offensive rebounding percentage (32.8 percent). The Cougars, however, rank 21st at grabbing defensive rebounds with a defensive rebounding percentage of 76.8 percent.
Gonzaga Bulldogs vs. BYU Cougars Betting Pick
Prediction: SU Winner – Gonzaga, ATS Winner – BYU, O/U – Over
- Gonzaga ranks 14th in rebounds per game (40.3) while BYU ranks 245th (33.1).
- The Cougars average 25.1 three pointers per game, which ranks 57th in the country. The Bulldogs rank 123rd in three pointers allowed per game (21.1).
- BYU ranks 14th in blocks allowed per game (2.3) while Gonzaga ranks 74th (3.0).
- The Bulldogs rank 41st in steals per game (7.9) while the Cougars rank 179th (5.7).
- Gonzaga ranks seventh in assists per game (17.1) while BYU ranks 85th in assists allowed per game (11.7).
- During their last five games, the Cougars have scored an average of 81.8 points per game (4.3 above their season average) and allowed an average of 66.0 points per game (0.5 below their season average).
- The Bulldogs’ average margin of victory in their last five games has been 16.2, down from 21.1 for the season.