The New Orleans Pelicans (33-48) welcome the Golden State Warriors (56-24) to Smoothie King Center to start their Western Conference schedules. Action begins at 8 p.m. ET on Tuesday, April 9, 2019, and can be seen on NBC Sports – Bay Area.
Golden State Warriors at New Orleans Pelicans Betting Odds
Both teams covered in their last outing. The Pelicans (12-point underdogs) defeated the Sacramento Kings 133-129, while the Warriors (11-point favorite) beat the Los Angeles Clippers 131-104. The New Orleans game went 29.5 points over the projected point total of 232.5, while the Golden State game went 2.5 points under the projected point total of 237.5.
Golden State dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had an extraordinarily low turnover percentage of 8.0 (better than their season average of 12.3) and an offensive rebounding percentage of 25.0 (above their season average of 22.4). Los Angeles recorded marks of 17.9 and 14.0, respectively, for those same stats. Meanwhile, New Orleans’ 0.609 effective field goal percentage was their largest advantage over Sacramento, who had a mark of 0.532. The Pelicans’ mark was above their season average of 0.529. Elfrid Payton played a key role for New Orleans with 26 points, 14 assists and six rebounds. Draymond Green played well for Golden State, finishing with 10 points, 10 rebounds and nine assists.
In their two contests this season, the Warriors have won both. The two teams combined to score 287 points in their most recent game, which was well over the projected point total of 243. Golden State won 147-140, covering as a 7-point favorite. The Warriors’ offensive rebounding percentage was their largest advantage over the Pelicans. Golden State had a rate of 19.2, while New Orleans posted a mark of 13.0. In the loss, Anthony Davis had a double-double with 30 points and 18 rebounds.
Of the Warriors’ 80 games, 43 have finished under the O/U total. Golden State has a superb 56-24 straight up (SU) record, but they are just 35-44-1 against the spread (ATS).
Of the Pelicans’ 81 games, 44 have finished over the total. Moreover, New Orleans owns records of 33-48 SU and 37-43-1 ATS.
Conflicting tempos will be on display in this battle. New Orleans has preferred to play up-tempo (third in possessions per game), while Golden State has been slower-paced (13th in possessions per game). Also, the Warriors rank first in offensive efficiency (114.6), while the Pelicans rank 24th in defensive efficiency (110.9).
Warriors at Pelicans Odds Pick
Free NBA Tip: SU Winner – Pelicans, ATS Winner – Pelicans, O/U – Over
- The Warriors rank 14th in points off turnovers per game (16.4) while the Pelicans rank 26th in points off turnovers allowed per game (18.1).
- New Orleans ranks first in points in the paint per game (58.2) while Golden State ranks 29th (43.2).
- The Warriors rank third in fast break points per game (19.2) while the Pelicans rank 25th in fast break points allowed per game (15.8).
- Golden State ranks seventh in three pointers attempted per game (34.5) while New Orleans ranks 26th in three pointers allowed per game (33.8).
- Golden State ranks 13th in steals per game (7.7) while New Orleans ranks 27th in steals allowed per game (8.6).
- The Warriors rank first in assists per game (29.4) while the Pelicans rank 28th in assists allowed per game (26.5).
- The Pelicans rank fifth in second chance points per game (14.4) while the Warriors rank 22nd in second chance points allowed per game (13.7).
- Golden State ranks 11th in rebounds per game (46.1) while New Orleans ranks 18th in rebounds allowed per game (45.6).
- Golden State ranks first in blocks allowed per game (3.7) while New Orleans ranks 23rd (5.5).
- Golden State is 10-0 when they allow less than 100 points, while New Orleans is 5-2.
- The Pelicans are 33-40 when they score over 100 points, while the Warriors are 56-16.
- New Orleans is 17-23 ATS at home, while Golden State is 19-20 ATS on the road.
- The total has gone over in 21 of the Warriors’ 39 road games, while 20 of the Pelicans’ 40 home games have gone over.
- The Warriors are 4-1 ATS over their last five games, while the Pelicans are 2-3.
- In their last five games, Golden State has 4 unders and 1 over, while New Orleans has 4 overs and 1 under.
- During their last five games, the Warriors have scored an average of 122.4 points per game (4.6 above their season average) and allowed an average of 100.0 points per game (11.1 below their season average).
- The Pelicans’ average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 6.8, up from 1.2 for the season.