The Golden State Warriors (51-14) head to Moda Center at the Rose Quarter to take on the Portland Trail Blazers (39-26). Both teams will look to continue their winning streaks. The Trail Blazers have won eight consecutive games, while the Warriors have won their last seven games. Golden State opened as a 4-point favorite, while the game’s Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 227.5 points. Tip-off is scheduled for 10 p.m. ET on Friday, March 9, 2018.
Golden State Warriors vs. Portland Trail Blazers Free Preview
The Warriors barely escaped the San Antonio Spurs in their last outing, 110-107. Kevin Durant was the top scorer from either team with 37 points on 14-for-26 shooting. Golden State dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had a free throw rate of 0.211 (above their season average of 0.202) and a turnover percentage of 8.7 (better than their season average of 14.1). San Antonio was 0.158 and 10.4, respectively, for those same stats.
In the Trail Blazers’ last game, they blew out the New York Knicks, 111-87. With 37 points on 10-for-18 shooting, Damian Lillard was the top scorer from either team. Portland played a nearly perfect game. They had a superb free throw rate of 0.259 (above their season average of 0.195) and an offensive rebounding percentage of 33.3 (above their season average of 22.7). For those same stats, New York put up marks of 0.120 and 20.0, respectively.
This showdown pits one of the league’s top offenses against one of its elite defenses. Golden State ranks first in effective field goal percentage (0.580) and Portland is fifth in effective field goal percentage allowed (0.501).
Of Golden State’s 64 games that accepted bets, 33 have finished over the projected point total, while 38 of Portland’s 65 games have finished under the O/U total. The Warriors hold the substantial advantage straight up (SU) (51-14 vs. 39-26), but the Trail Blazers have the better against the spread (ATS) record (34-25-6 vs. 27-34-3).
These two teams have already met twice this year, each winning once. Durant led both teams with 50 points in the most recent contest, in which the Warriors lost 123-117, unable to cover as 6-point favorites. The two teams combined to put up 240 points, which was 11.5 points above the projected point total of 228.5 points. The Trail Blazers dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had a superb offensive rebounding percentage of 28.3 and a turnover percentage of 11.2. The Warriors recorded marks of 18.2 and 14.0, respectively, for those same stats.
Golden State Warriors at Portland Trail Blazers ATS Prediction
Free Pick: SU Winner – Warriors, ATS Winner – Trail Blazers, O/U – Under
- The Trail Blazers rank seventh in points off turnovers allowed per game (15.0) while the Warriors rank 28th (18.8).
- Portland ranks 12th in second chance points allowed per game (12.0) while Golden State ranks last (13.7).
- Portland ranks fourth in points allowed in the paint per game (42.0) while Golden State ranks 24th (47.1).
- Portland ranks third in rebounds per game (45.2) while Golden State ranks 13th (44.0).
- On the road, Golden State is 14-17-1 ATS with 17 overs and 15 unders.
- Portland is 16-13-3 ATS at home with 18 unders and 14 overs.
- When allowing under 100 points, Golden State is 13-2 and Portland is 21-5.
- In games where they score more than 100 points, the Warriors are 48-10 and the Trail Blazers are 34-13.
- The Trail Blazers rank 11th in steals allowed per game (7.5) while the Warriors rank 29th (8.9).
- Golden State ranks first in assists per game (30.5) while Portland ranks last (19.1).
- The Warriors rank first in fast break points per game (20.7) while the Trail Blazers rank 29th (7.7).
- The Trail Blazers rank fourth in three pointers allowed per game (26.5) while the Warriors rank 14th (29.1).
- Golden State ranks first in blocks allowed per game (3.5) while Portland ranks 23rd (5.2).
- Portland is 5-0 ATS with 4 unders and 1 over in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Golden State is 2-2-1 ATS with 4 unders and 1 over.
- The Trail Blazers’ average margin of victory in their last five games has been 12.6, up from 2.2 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Warriors have scored an average of 114.4 points per game (1.6 below their season average) and allowed an average of 105.8 points per game (1.7 below their season average).