It will be a clash between two superb defenses when the 25th-ranked Syracuse Orange (11-4, 2-0 ACC) go head-to-head against the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets (9-6, 1-1 ACC) at Carrier Dome. The game will air on ESPN2 at 6 p.m. ET on Saturday, January 12, 2019.
Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets vs. Syracuse Orange Betting Odds
In their last game, the Orange were victorious over the Clemson Tigers, 61-53, while the Yellow Jackets lost a close one to the ninth-ranked Virginia Tech Hokies, 52-49.
Syracuse played a nearly perfect game. They had a great free throw rate of 0.313 (above their season average of 0.293) and an effective field goal percentage of 0.479 (below their season average of 0.492). Clemson recorded marks of 0.189 and 0.406, respectively, for those same stats. Georgia Tech, meanwhile, held Virginia Tech to an effective field goal percentage of 0.342 (below their season average of 0.609). Marek Dolezaj played a pivotal role for Syracuse with 10 points. Meanwhile, Georgia Tech was lifted by Jose Alvarado, who put up 20 points.
The Yellow Jackets won the sole contest between these two teams last season, 55-51. The Yellow Jackets’ 11.6 turnover percentage was their largest strength over the Orange, who had a rate of 20.3. This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams.
Baskets could be hard to come by as two of the nation’s premier defenses battle. Syracuse ranks 25th in defensive efficiency (91.5) and Georgia Tech is 13th (89.2). It could also be a mistake-prone game for the Yellow Jackets’ offense, which ranks 284th in ball protection (turnover percentage of 20.9 percent). They’ll be going up against the stingy defense of the Orange, which forces the 23rd-most turnovers in the NCAA (24.0 percent).
Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets vs. Syracuse Orange Odds Pick
College Basketball Pick: SU Winner – Georgia Tech, ATS Winner – Georgia Tech, O/U – Under
- Georgia Tech ranks 43rd in three pointers allowed per game (19.9) while Syracuse ranks 239th (26.7).
- The Yellow Jackets rank 16th in blocks per game (5.3) while the Orange rank 56th in blocks allowed per game (2.9).
- The Orange rank 33rd in steals per game (8.2) while the Yellow Jackets rank 129th in steals allowed per game (7.0).
- Georgia Tech ranks 71st in assists per game (15.0) while Syracuse ranks 158th in assists allowed per game (14.1).
- The Orange’s average margin of victory in their last five games has been 14.0, up from 10.1 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Yellow Jackets have scored an average of 73.2 points per game (2.0 above their season average) and allowed an average of 64.2 points per game (1.9 above their season average).