SBC foes will collide when the Coastal Carolina Chanticleers (7-11, 1-4 SBC) square off with the Georgia State Panthers (12-6, 3-2 SBC) at HTC Center. Action begins at 3:30 p.m. ET on Saturday, January 13, 2018.
Georgia State Panthers at Coastal Carolina Chanticleers Free Preview
In the Panthers last outing, they beat the Appalachian State Mountaineers, 71-58. Jeff Thomas was the games leading scorer with 22 points on 9-for-15 shooting. Georgia State dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had a turnover percentage of 12.1 (better than their season average of 15.0) and a free throw rate of 0.153 (matching their season average). For those same stats, Appalachian State was 18.0 and 0.119, respectively.
The Chanticleers are hoping for a better outcome after their 77-66 loss to the Georgia Southern Eagles in their last outing. Jaylen Shaw was Coastal Carolina’s high scorer with 21 points on 7-for-12 shooting. Georgia Southern did an excellent job of making free throws (21-24; 87.5 percent). Coastal Carolina, meanwhile, had a better offensive rebounding percentage (35.3 vs. 34.4).
It could be a mistake-prone game for the Coastal Carolina offense. Coastal Carolina ranks 315th in the NCAA in ball protection (turnover percentage of 21.8 percent), while the ball-hawking defense of Georgia State forces the 12th-most turnovers in the nation (24.2 percent).
Both teams have had a player trending in the right direction over their last five games. For the Panthers, it’s been Thomas, who has averaged 12.6 points, while the Chanticleers have received great contributions from Demario Beck (13.2 points, 8.2 rebounds and 1.4 blocks).
This is the first time these teams will battle this year, after splitting two games last season. In the most recent matchup, the Chanticleers won 65-64. The Chanticleers 28.9 offensive rebounding percentage was their biggest strength over the Panthers, who had a mark of 23.3.
Georgia State Panthers vs. Coastal Carolina Chanticleers ATS Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Georgia State, ATS Winner – Georgia State, O/U – Over
- The Chanticleers rank 17th in blocks allowed per game (2.3) while the Panthers rank 76th (3.3).
- Coastal Carolina ranks 65th in rebounds per game (38.3) while Georgia State ranks 236th (32.8).
- The Panthers rank 20th in steals per game (8.4) while the Chanticleers rank 137th in steals allowed per game (7.1).
- Georgia State averages 23.2 three pointers per game, which ranks 107th in the nation. Coastal Carolina ranks 171st in three pointers allowed per game (23.2).
- The Chanticleers have been outscored by an average of 3.6 points in their last five games. For the season, Coastal Carolina has defeated opponents by an average of 3.9 points.
- During their last five games, the Panthers have scored an average of 70.6 points per game (2.0 below their season average) and allowed an average of 70.2 points per game (4.7 above their season average).