The Wake Forest Demon Deacons and Georgia Southern Eagles will clash at Lawrence Joel Veterans Memorial Coliseum to commence the new season. Wake Forest is a 10.5-point favorite on the opening line, while the Over/Under (O/U) for the game opened at 160 points. Tip-off is set for 7:30 p.m. ET on Friday, November 10, 2017, and it can be seen on ESPN 3.
Georgia Southern Eagles at Wake Forest Demon Deacons Free Preview
Wake Forest was an 11 seed in the tournament last season and lost in the First Four to the Kansas State Wildcats. The Demon Deacons went 19-13 in the regular season. Georgia Southern, meanwhile, did not make the tournament following an 18-14 regular season.
Wake Forest figures to have the advantage on the offensive side of the ball. In the 2016-17 season, the Demon Deacons ranked 13th in offensive efficiency, while the Eagles ranked 214th in defensive efficiency. Ball security should be an advantage for the Eagles. They ranked 53rd at avoiding errors (turnover percentage of 16.8 percent). Conversely, the Demon Deacons forced the 41st-fewest turnovers in the NCAA (opponents’ turnover percentage of 16.5 percent).
The Eagles had a decent 18-14 straight up (SU) record last season, but had a hard time covering the spread (12-13-1 against the spread (ATS)). Vegas was spot on when predicting totals of Georgia Southern games last year, with an even split between overs and unders.
The Demon Deacons, on the other hand, were 19-13 SU and 16-15 ATS last season. Vegas had a tendency to place the total slightly low when Wake Forest is involved last year, as 22 of their 26 games gone over the projected point total.
Georgia Southern Eagles vs. Wake Forest Demon Deacons Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Wake Forest, ATS Winner – Wake Forest, O/U – Over
Betting Notes (2016-Present):
- The Eagles rank 20th in steals allowed per game (4.8) while the Demon Deacons rank 122nd (6.0).
- Georgia Southern ranks 170th in blocks per game (3.1) while Wake Forest ranks 187th in blocks allowed per game (3.8).
- Wake Forest ranks 54th in assists per game (15.5) while Georgia Southern ranks 301st (10.4).
- The Eagles rank 27th in three pointers attempted per game (25.4) while the Demon Deacons rank 248th in three pointers allowed per game (22.8).
- Wake Forest ranks 94th in rebounds allowed per game (33.7) while Georgia Southern ranks 306th (39.6).