The Georgia Southern Eagles (12-7, 6-2 SBC) will be at the Mitchell Center to square off with the South Alabama Jaguars (11-8, 4-4 SBC) in a SBC matchup. Action starts at 4 p.m. ET on Saturday, January 18, 2020.
Georgia Southern Eagles vs. South Alabama Jaguars ATS Odds
In their last contest, the Jaguars fell to the Georgia State Panthers, 72-63, while the Eagles defeated the Troy Trojans, 82-66.
Georgia Southern dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had a superb free throw rate of 0.250 (above their season average of 0.222) and a turnover percentage of 17.1 (worse than their season average of 14.6). For those same stats, Troy put up marks of 0.086 and 20.5, respectively. South Alabama, on the other hand, had a free throw rate of 0.300 (above their season average of 0.290). Josh Ajayi put together a good outing for South Alabama with 19 points and 10 rebounds. Georgia Southern, meanwhile, rallied around Isaiah Crawley, who had 24 points and 10 rebounds.
The Eagles dominated this series last year, taking both games. In the last contest, Georgia Southern won 75-65. Georgia Southern had a much better offensive rebounding percentage (23.1 vs. 14.3). South Alabama, meanwhile, had a better turnover percentage (19.5 vs. 21.6). This is the first time these teams will go head-to-head this year.
The aggressive South Alabama offense might be living from the charity stripe in this matchup. The Jaguars currently rank 15th in the NCAA with a free throw attempt (FTA) rate of 0.291, while Georgia Southern is among the nation’s most foul-prone squads (giving up a 150th-ranked FTA rate of 0.209). It will also be a battle of conflicting styles as the fast-paced Eagles rank 45th in possessions per game, while the slower-paced Jaguars rank 298th.
Georgia Southern Eagles at South Alabama Jaguars Odds Pick
College Basketball Prediction: SU Winner – Georgia Southern, ATS Winner – Georgia Southern, O/U – Under
- Georgia Southern ranks 41st in three pointers attempted per game (26.3) while South Alabama ranks 262nd (16.9).
- The Eagles rank 34th in steals per game (8.5) while the Jaguars rank 68th (7.7).
- The Jaguars rank 87th in rebounds allowed per game (33.6) while the Eagles rank 240th (38.2).
- Georgia Southern ranks 46th in blocks allowed per game (2.8) while South Alabama ranks 108th (3.6).
- During their last five games, the Jaguars have scored an average of 61.0 points per game (10.3 below their season average) and allowed an average of 59.4 points per game (8.1 below their season average).
- The Eagles’ average margin of victory in their last five games has been 7.8, up from 5.6 for the season.