SEC foes will collide when the South Carolina Gamecocks (14-13, 5-9 SEC) clash with the Georgia Bulldogs (15-11, 6-8 SEC) at Colonial Life Arena. South Carolina opened as a 2.5-point favorite, while the Over/Under (O/U) for the game has been set at 130.5 points. Tip-off is scheduled for 6:30 p.m. ET on Wednesday, February 21, 2018, and it can be seen on SEC Network.
Georgia Bulldogs vs. South Carolina Gamecocks Betting Preview
The Bulldogs defeated the No. 18 Tennessee Volunteers in their last game, 73-62. With 16 points and 11 rebounds, Georgia’s Derek Ogbeide played well. Georgia played a nearly perfect game. They had an extraordinary free throw rate of 0.574 (above their season average of 0.283) and an effective field goal percentage of 0.489 (above their season average of 0.482). Tennessee was 0.159 and 0.413, respectively, for those same stats.
In the Gamecocks’ last matchup, they beat the No. 10 Auburn Tigers, 84-75. South Carolina rallied around Chris Silva, who put up 14 points and 11 rebounds. The Gamecocks held the Tigers to an effective field goal percentage of 0.357 (below their season average of 0.535) and had a free throw rate of 0.483 (above their season average of 0.300).
South Carolina should have an edge on the offensive glass in this showdown. The Gamecocks are among the NCAA’s elite on the offensive glass, ranking 46th in offensive rebounding percentage at 33.7 percent. Meanwhile, Georgia ranks 188th in the nation at corralling defensive rebounds with a defensive rebounding percentage of 71.2 percent. Also, the 13th-ranked defense of the Bulldogs (effective field goal percentage allowed of 0.460) will square off against the 338th-ranked offense of the Gamecocks (effective field goal percentage of 0.456).
Of Georgia’s 23 games with betting action, 13 have finished under the projected point total, while 13 of South Carolina’s 26 games have finished over the projected point total. Looking at straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records, the Bulldogs have a substantial advantage. They are 15-11 SU and 12-11 ATS, while the Gamecocks are 14-13 SU and 11-14-1 ATS.
These teams have already met once this season. The two teams combined for 121 points in that game, which was under the projected point total of 133. The Gamecocks won 64-57, covering as 5-point underdogs. The Gamecocks dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had a superb turnover percentage of 8.6 and an extraordinary offensive rebounding percentage of 37.5. The Bulldogs were 18.1 and 30.0, respectively, for those same stats. In the loss, Yante Maten led all scorers on the team with 25 points.
Georgia Bulldogs vs. South Carolina Gamecocks Prediction
College Basketball Prediction: SU Winner – Georgia, ATS Winner – Georgia, O/U – Over
- The Bulldogs rank 40th in rebounds per game (38.6) while the Gamecocks rank 91st (36.7).
- Georgia is ninth in the NCAA with 10.1 assists allowed per game while South Carolina is 35th with 11.3 assists allowed per game.
- South Carolina is 5-7 ATS at home, while Georgia is 6-7 ATS on the road.
- Of the Bulldogs’ 13 road games, they have 8 unders and 5 overs.
- The Gamecocks have 7 overs, 4 unders and 1 push in 12 home games.
- Georgia averages 4.4 blocks per game, which ranks 38th in the NCAA. South Carolina ranks 203rd in blocks allowed per game (5.4).
- The Gamecocks rank 48th in three pointers allowed per game (19.6) while the Bulldogs rank 167th (22.3).
- South Carolina ranks 168th in steals per game (5.6) while Georgia ranks 236th (4.1).
- South Carolina is 2-3 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Georgia is 2-3 ATS with 4 overs and 1 under.
- The Gamecocks have been outscored by an average of 11.4 points in their last five games. For the season, South Carolina has defeated opponents by an average of 1.3 points.
- During their last five games, the Bulldogs have scored an average of 65.8 points per game (2.9 below their season average) and allowed an average of 72.4 points per game (5.4 above their season average).