Big East foes will clash when the Butler Bulldogs (17-9, 7-6 Big East) go head-to-head with the Georgetown Hoyas (14-10, 4-9 Big East) at Hinkle Fieldhouse. Butler is an 11-point favorite on the opening line, while the Over/Under (O/U) for the game opened at 149 points. Tip-off is scheduled for 6:30 p.m. ET on Tuesday, February 13, 2018, and it can be seen on CBS Sports Network.
Georgetown Hoyas vs. Butler Bulldogs Odds Preview
In the Hoyas last contest, they edged the Seton Hall Pirates, 83-80. Marcus Derrickson was Georgetown’s high scorer with 22 points on 8-for-12 shooting. The Hoyas knocked down 13 of their 18 free throws (72.2 percent) and had an effective field goal percentage of 0.565 (above their season average of 0.513).
The Bulldogs are hoping for a better outcome after their 86-75 loss to the No. 1 Villanova Wildcats in their last game. With 25 points, Butler’s Kamar Baldwin played well. Villanova’s 0.339 free throw rate was their biggest advantage over Butler, who had a rate of 0.145. The Wildcats mark was above their season average of 0.225, while the Bulldogs was below their season average of 0.212.
Georgetown could struggle to create turnovers. Butler ranks 26th in the nation at avoiding errors (turnover percentage of 16.0 percent), while Georgetown forces the 242nd-most turnovers (18.0 percent).
These two teams are complete opposites in terms of the O/U total. Games featuring Georgetown have finished under 55.0 percent of the time, while Butler games have gone over 60.0 percent of the time. The Bulldogs have the better straight up (SU) record (17-9 vs. 14-10) and a narrow edge against the spread (ATS) (13-12 vs. 11-9-1).
These teams have already met once this season. The two teams combined to put up 180 points in that game, which was well over the projected point total of 144. The Bulldogs won 91-89, but were unable to cover as 4-point favorites. Butler had a much better turnover percentage (12.6 vs. 20.7). Georgetown, on the other hand, did a terrific job of making free throws (28-35; 80.0 percent). Derrickson finished with 23 points and 11 rebounds.
Georgetown Hoyas at Butler Bulldogs Prediction
Prediction: SU Winner – Butler, ATS Winner – Georgetown, O/U – Over
- The Bulldogs rank 101st in assists per game (14.7) while the Hoyas rank 196th in assists allowed per game (14.5).
- Georgetown ranks 70th in blocks per game (4.0) while Butler ranks 103rd in blocks allowed per game (3.4).
- Georgetown is 6-1-1 ATS on the road with 4 overs and 4 unders.
- Butler is 10-3 ATS at home with 10 overs and 3 unders.
- Georgetown ranks 23rd in rebounds per game (39.5) while Butler ranks 198th (34.3).
- The Bulldogs rank 31st in steals allowed per game (5.1) while the Hoyas rank 204th (7.4).
- Butler ranks 108th in three pointers allowed per game (20.9) while Georgetown ranks 240th (24.7).
- Butler is 3-2 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Georgetown is 4-1 ATS with 4 overs and 1 under.
- The Bulldogs average margin of victory in their last five games has been 10.4, up from 8.0 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Hoyas have scored an average of 78.6 points per game (0.2 above their season average) and allowed an average of 81.6 points per game (7.7 above their season average).