The Elon Phoenix (14-14, 6-9 CAA) will travel to TD Arena to take on the Charleston Cougars (22-6, 13-3 CAA) in their home finale. Charleston opened as an 11.5-point favorite, while the game’s Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 140.5 points. Action starts at 7 p.m. ET on Thursday, February 22, 2018.
Elon Phoenix vs. Charleston Cougars ATS Preview
In the Phoenix’s last contest, they were beaten by the Delaware Fightin’ Blue Hens, 72-57. With 22 points on 8-for-15 shooting, Tyler Seibring was Elon’s high scorer. Delaware had a much better free throw rate (0.192 vs. 0.050). Elon, meanwhile, forced the Fightin’ Blue Hens into a turnover percentage of 16.5 (above the 12.9 mark opponents have averaged against Elon this season).
The Cougars come in on a high note after beating the UNCW Seahawks in their last outing, 88-74. Charleston received a boost from Jarrell Brantley, who put up 23 points and seven rebounds. The Cougars, who came into the game averaging an effective field goal percentage of 0.515, had an absurd mark of 0.750, while the Seahawks had a free throw rate of 0.188 (below their season average of 0.226).
Charleston could put on a ball-control clinic in this showdown. Charleston ranks 11th in the NCAA at avoiding errors (turnover percentage of 15.0 percent), while Elon forces the fourth-fewest turnovers (15.0 percent).
Games including these teams have typically gone over the projected point total. Elon games have gone over 58.3 percent of the time, while 58.3 percent of Charleston games have finished over. Looking at straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records, the Cougars have a substantial advantage. They are 22-6 SU and 11-12-1 ATS, while the Phoenix are 14-14 SU and 8-16 ATS.
Both teams have had a player trending in the right direction over their last five games. For the Phoenix, it’s been Seibring, who has averaged 20.6 points and 8.0 rebounds, while the Cougars have gotten great contributions from Grant Riller (24.4 points, 2.8 steals and 1.2 blocks).
These teams have already met once this season. The two teams combined to score 121 points in that game, which was well under the projected point total of 139.5. The Phoenix won 63-58, covering as 2.5-point underdogs. The Phoenix played a nearly flawless game. They had a turnover percentage of 11.3 and a free throw rate of 0.179. For those same stats, the Cougars were 14.1 and 0.158, respectively. Steven Santa Ana was the game’s top overall scorer with 23 points.
Elon Phoenix vs. Charleston Cougars Free Prediction
College Basketball Pick: SU Winner – Charleston, ATS Winner – Elon, O/U – Over
- The Cougars rank second in steals allowed per game (4.0) while the Phoenix rank 128th (6.4).
- On the road, Elon is 3-12 ATS with 9 overs and 6 unders.
- Charleston is 5-5 ATS at home with 6 overs and 4 unders.
- Charleston ranks 50th in three pointers allowed per game (19.6) while Elon ranks 286th (27.9).
- The Phoenix rank 39th in assists per game (16.1) while the Cougars rank 257th (11.3).
- Charleston ranks 125th in rebounds allowed per game (34.0) while Elon ranks 281st (38.7).
- Charleston is 2-3 ATS with 5 overs in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Elon is 1-4 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs.
- The Cougars’ average margin of victory in their last five games has been 9.0, up from 6.2 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Phoenix have scored an average of 69.8 points per game (4.0 below their season average) and allowed an average of 80.2 points per game (5.2 above their season average).