The Edmonton Oilers, spearheaded by Leon Draisaitl and Connor McDavid, are set to take the ice against Tomas Hertl, Brent Burns, and the San Jose Sharks at the SAP Center in a Pacific Division showdown. This one will get going at 10:30 p.m. ET on Tuesday, November 12 and it’ll be showcased live on Sportsnet West.
Edmonton Oilers at San Jose Sharks Odds
Edmonton (+110) is entering this one as the underdog to San Jose (-130), and the Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 6 goals (-120 for the under, +100 for the over).
Edmonton is 12-7 straight up (SU) and has earned moneyline bettors 5.8 units this year. 11 of its outings have gone under the total, while eight have gone over and none have pushed. As the road team in 2019-20, the Oilers are 6-4 SU.
Edmonton currently touts the third-best power-play unit in the NHL, as it’s converted on 29.1 percent of its extra-man opportunities this year. Its penalty kill is ranked fifth overall, and it has successfully killed off 85.7 percent of all penalties..
Boasting a .926 save percentage and 26.4 saves per game, Mike Smith (5-5-1) has been the best option in goal for Edmonton this year. If head coach Dave Tippett chooses to rest him, however, Edmonton could go with Mikko Koskinen (7-3-1 record, .928 save percentage, 2.16 goals against average).
San Jose is 7-11 straight up (SU) and has lost 6.3 units for moneyline bettors this year. Through 18 regular season matches, nine of its games have gone under the total, while eight have gone over and just one has pushed. It’s 5-4 SU at home thus far.
The Sharks have converted on just 21.3 percent of their power play opportunities this year, a mark that’s right around league average. On the other hand, its penalty kill is ranked first overall, and it’s successfully killed off 91.2 percent of all opponent power plays.
Martin Jones has stopped 24.3 shots per game as the top choice in goal for the Sharks. Jones has five wins, nine losses, and one overtime loss and has recorded a mediocre 3.31 goals against average and a fairly-weak .888 save percentage this season.
Edmonton Oilers vs. San Jose Sharks Free Picks
NHL Tip: SU Winner – Sharks, O/U – Over
- Six of San Jose’s last ten outings have been decided by two or more goals. The team is 2-4 overall in those games.
- The Sharks are 1-5 SU when they serve more penalty minutes than their opponent while the Oilers are 6-3 SU in games where they spend more time in the box than the opposition.
- For both of these clubs, the total has gone under in three of their last five outings.
- Edmonton skaters have averaged 5.2 giveaways over its last five home games, an improvement from its season average of 12.1 giveaways per game (ranked 25th in the league).
- San Jose is ranked 13th this season with 9.9 giveaways per game. That figure has trended higher recently, as the team’s averaged 11.3 giveaways over its last 10 games and 11.2 giveaways over its last five.
- The Sharks this season have registered the 10th-most hits in the league (22.6 per game), but the club has averaged 25.4 over their last five home games.