The Eastern Michigan Eagles (18-11, 9-7 MAC) will travel to University Arena in Read Fieldhouse to clash against the Western Michigan Broncos (17-12, 9-7 MAC) in their home finale. The game’s Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 136.5 points with Western Michigan opening as a 3.5-point favorite. Action gets underway at 7 p.m. ET on Tuesday, February 27, 2018.
Eastern Michigan Eagles vs. Western Michigan Broncos Free Preview
In the Eagles’ last game, they easily got past the Northern Illinois Huskies, 82-53. Elijah Minnie was the top scorer from either team with 26 points on 11-for-19 shooting. The Eagles forced 19 turnovers and had an effective field goal percentage of 0.625 (above their season average of 0.520).
The Broncos come in on a high note after topping the Ball State Cardinals in their last contest, 87-80. Western Michigan was lifted by Reggie Jones, who was the team’s high scorer with 20 points on 7-for-14 shooting. Western Michigan played a nearly perfect game. They had a fantastic free throw rate of 0.362 (above their season average of 0.247) and a turnover percentage of 14.3 (worse than their season average of 13.4). Ball State was 0.232 and 18.7, respectively, for those same stats.
Ball security could play a key role in this battle. Western Michigan commits the 22nd-fewest miscues in the nation (turnover percentage of 15.6 percent), while the ball-hawking defense of Eastern Michigan forces the 35th-most (opponents’ turnover percentage of 21.9 percent).
Of Eastern Michigan’s 23 games with betting action, 14 have finished under the O/U total, while 13 of Western Michigan’s 26 games have finished under the O/U total. Both teams have solid straight up (SU) records (18-11 for Eastern Michigan; 17-12 for Western Michigan), but the Eagles have the advantage against the spread (ATS). Eastern Michigan is 13-10 ATS, while the Broncos are 11-14-1.
Minnie has been solid over the last five games for Eastern Michigan, averaging 18.4 points, 6.2 rebounds, 2.2 steals and 2.0 blocks per game.
These teams have already met once this season. In that game, the two teams combined for 128 points, which was under the projected point total of 135.5. The Broncos won 71-57, covering as 2-point underdogs. The Broncos dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had an absurd offensive rebounding percentage of 40.5 and an effective field goal percentage of 0.492. The Eagles were 29.4 and 0.417, respectively, for those same stats. James Thompson IV had a double-double in the loss with 24 points and 18 rebounds.
Eastern Michigan Eagles vs. Western Michigan Broncos Odds Prediction
Free Basketball Tip: SU Winner – Eastern Michigan, ATS Winner – Eastern Michigan, O/U – Under
- The Broncos rank 132nd in rebounds per game (35.8) while the Eagles rank 158th in rebounds allowed per game (35.0).
- Western Michigan ranks 193rd in assists per game (12.8) while Eastern Michigan ranks 211th in assists allowed per game (14.6).
- Eastern Michigan is 6-6 ATS on the road with 6 overs and 6 unders.
- At home, Western Michigan is 3-7-1 ATS with 6 overs and 5 unders.
- Western Michigan ranks 23rd in steals allowed per game (5.0) while Eastern Michigan ranks 193rd (7.0).
- The Eagles rank fifth in blocks per game (6.2) while the Broncos rank 137th (3.1).
- Western Michigan ranks 176th in three pointers attempted per game (21.2) while Eastern Michigan ranks 237th (19.2).
- Western Michigan is 2-3 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Eastern Michigan is 3-2 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs.
- The Broncos’ average margin of victory in their last five games has been 1.6, down from 2.9 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Eagles have scored an average of 72.0 points per game (0.0 below their season average) and allowed an average of 65.2 points per game (2.2 below their season average).