The SMU Mustangs (8-4) and their sensational offense welcome the East Carolina Pirates (7-5) and their stifling defense. Action gets underway at 8 p.m. ET on Wednesday, January 2, 2019, and can be seen on ESPN 3.
East Carolina Pirates at SMU Mustangs ATS Odds
Both teams were triumphant in their last game. The Mustangs were victorious over the Northwestern State Demons 69-58, while the Pirates won big over the Delaware State Hornets 81-56.
East Carolina played a flawless game. They had a free throw rate of 0.344 and an offensive rebounding percentage of 35.9. Delaware State was 0.158 and 20.5, respectively, for those same stats. SMU, on the other hand, won the rebounding battle. The Mustangs had more offensive rebounds (21 vs. nine) and total rebounds (44 vs. 33). Jimmy Whitt Jr. played a pivotal role for SMU with 19 points, six rebounds and five assists. Meanwhile, Isaac Fleming had a solid performance for East Carolina, putting up 12 points.
The Mustangs dominated this series last year, winning both contests. In the last game, SMU won 77-58. SMU launched 21 three pointers, making 11 of them (52.4 percent), while East Carolina was 8-29 (27.6 percent). This is the first time these teams will battle this year.
The game should be a battle of strength against strength as the high-powered offense of SMU (26th in the NCAA with an offensive efficiency of 116.5) takes on the stingy defense of East Carolina (44th in the NCAA with a defensive efficiency of 92.9).
East Carolina Pirates vs. SMU Mustangs Betting Pick
Basketball Tip: SU Winner – Smu, ATS Winner – SMU, O/U – Under
- SMU ranks 93rd in three pointers attempted per game (24.2) while East Carolina ranks 254th (17.0).
- The Pirates rank 45th in rebounds per game (39.4) while the Mustangs rank 150th (35.8).
- The Pirates rank 16th in assists allowed per game (10.0) while the Mustangs rank 176th (14.8).
- SMU ranks 17th in steals allowed per game (4.8) while East Carolina ranks 170th (7.8).
- The Pirates’ average margin of victory in their last five games has been 2.0, down from 4.1 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Mustangs have scored an average of 73.2 points per game (2.9 below their season average) and allowed an average of 70.2 points per game (2.6 above their season average).