AAC foes will collide when the Connecticut Huskies (7-7, 0-2 AAC) meet the East Carolina Pirates (7-7, 1-2 AAC) at XL Center. Tip-off is set for 12 p.m. ET on Saturday, January 6, 2018, and it can be seen on ESPNews.
East Carolina Pirates vs. Connecticut Huskies ATS Preview
In the Pirates last game, they barely escaped the South Florida Bulls, 67-65. With 13 points and eight rebounds, East Carolina’s Jabari Craig played well. The Pirates had a great turnover percentage of 8.9 (better than their season average of 19.0), while the Bulls had a free throw rate of 0.200 (below their season average of 0.237).
The Huskies are hoping for a better outcome after their 90-88 loss to the Tulsa Golden Hurricane in their last game. Jalen Adams led Connecticut in scoring with 29 points on 10-for-25 shooting. Tulsa had a free throw rate of 0.391 (above their season average of 0.318). Connecticut, meanwhile, had a turnover percentage of 7.6 (better than their season average of 16.2).
From an effective field goal percentage perspective, East Carolina should have a considerable edge. The Pirates defense ranks 67th in effective field goal percentage allowed (0.469), while the Connecticut offense is ranked 333rd in effective field goal percentage (0.457).
This is the first time these teams will clash this year. Each won one of the two games played against each other last season. The Pirates won the most recent matchup 66-62. East Carolina was lights out from beyond the arc (12-28; 42.9 percent). Connecticut, on the other hand, did an excellent job of making free throws (22-30; 73.3 percent).
East Carolina Pirates vs. Connecticut Huskies Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – East Carolina, ATS Winner – East Carolina, O/U – Under
- The Pirates rank 211th in assists per game (12.1) while the Huskies rank 250th (9.9).
- East Carolina ranks 105th in three pointers allowed per game (21.4) while Connecticut ranks 232nd (25.5).
- The Huskies rank 19th in steals allowed per game (4.9) while the Pirates rank 139th (7.1).
- Connecticut ranks 78th in rebounds per game (38.1) while East Carolina ranks 196th in rebounds allowed per game (37.2).
- The Huskies’ average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 7.8, up from 3.5 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Pirates have scored an average of 57.0 points per game (8.7 below their season average) and allowed an average of 68.0 points per game (1.3 below their season average).