The 17th-ranked Houston Cougars (18-1, 5-1 AAC) welcome the East Carolina Pirates (8-9, 1-4 AAC) to Fertitta Center. The Cougars will attempt to continue their 14-game home winning streak, while the Pirates look to end their six-game road losing streak. The game starts at 8 p.m. ET on Wednesday, January 23, 2019, and will air on ESPN 3.
East Carolina Pirates vs. Houston Cougars Betting Odds
In their last outing, the Cougars were victorious over the South Florida Bulls, 69-60, while the Pirates lost to the Temple Owls, 85-74.
The Cougars held the Bulls to an effective field goal percentage of 0.375 (below their season average of 0.502). The Bulls also had a turnover percentage of 23.4 (above their season average of 19.5). East Carolina, on the other hand, held Temple to an offensive rebounding percentage of 20.6 (below their season average of 26.9). Breaon Brady played well for Houston with 13 points and nine rebounds. Jayden Gardner had a good outing for East Carolina, finishing with 27 points and eight rebounds.
The Cougars dominated this series last year, taking both games. In the most recent matchup, Houston won 109-58. Houston’s rebounding was their largest advantage. The Cougars had more offensive rebounds (12 vs. four), defensive rebounds (34 vs. 13) and total rebounds (46 vs. 17). This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams.
Houston could dominate on the defensive side of the ball as they battle against one of the country’s worst offenses. The Cougars rank second in effective field goal percentage allowed (0.421), while East Carolina is 307th in effective field goal percentage (0.476).
East Carolina Pirates vs. Houston Cougars ATS Pick
Pick: SU Winner – Houston, ATS Winner – Houston, O/U – Under
- Houston ranks 44th in three pointers attempted per game (26.1) while East Carolina ranks 273rd (17.8).
- The Cougars rank 19th in blocks allowed per game (2.4) while the Pirates rank 118th (3.8).
- Houston allows the 22nd-fewest assists per game (10.4) while East Carolina ranks 53rd (11.5).
- The Cougars rank 39th in steals allowed per game (5.4) while the Pirates rank 178th (8.0).
- Houston ranks 14th in rebounds per game (41.1) while East Carolina ranks 135th in rebounds allowed per game (34.8).
- During their last five games, the Cougars have scored an average of 75.2 points per game (0.6 above their season average) and allowed an average of 67.6 points per game (7.1 above their season average).
- The Pirates’ average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 10.8, up from 0.3 for the season.