The country’s top scoring defense will be at home in John Paul Jones Arena, when the Virginia Cavaliers (20-7, 12-5 ACC) clash against the seventh-ranked Duke Blue Devils (23-5, 13-4 ACC). The game can be seen on ESPN at 6 p.m. ET on Saturday, February 29, 2020.
Duke Blue Devils vs. Virginia Cavaliers ATS Odds
In their last game, the Cavaliers edged the Virginia Tech Hokies, 56-53, while the Blue Devils lost to the Wake Forest Demon Deacons, 113-101.
Virginia dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had an offensive rebounding percentage of 26.9 (above their season average of 26.9) and a free throw rate of 0.163 (matching their season average). Virginia Tech recorded marks of 12.9 and 0.118, respectively, for those same stats. Duke, meanwhile, held Wake Forest to an offensive rebounding percentage of 23.7 (below their season average of 28.7). Virginia’s Braxton Key had a good outing, contributing 10 points and 11 rebounds. Meanwhile, Duke was led by Tre Jones, who put up 24 points, nine assists and seven rebounds.
The Blue Devils dominated this series last year, taking both contests. In the last matchup, Duke won 81-71. Duke had a much better free throw rate (0.356 vs. 0.083). Virginia, meanwhile, had a much better offensive rebounding percentage (45.2 vs. 36.4). This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams.
Virginia might struggle to score as they clash against one of the nation’s best defenses. Duke ranks 19th in defensive efficiency, while the Cavaliers rank 326th in offensive efficiency. It will also be a battle of opposite styles as the up-tempo Blue Devils rank 23rd in possessions per game, while the more methodical Cavaliers rank 352nd.
Duke at Virginia Pick
Prediction: SU Winner – Duke, ATS Winner – Duke, O/U – Under
- Duke ranks 19th in assists per game (15.8) while Virginia ranks 220th (11.7).
- The Blue Devils rank eighth in three pointers allowed per game (16.4) while the Cavaliers rank 169th (22.0).
- Virginia ranks 25th in blocks allowed per game (2.5) while Duke ranks 146th (3.7).
- The Blue Devils rank 15th in rebounds per game (40.3) while the Cavaliers rank 196th (34.2).
- Duke ranks 23rd in steals per game (8.4) while Virginia ranks 202nd (5.3).
- During their last five games, the Cavaliers have scored an average of 61.4 points per game (5.8 above their season average) and allowed an average of 57.0 points per game (6.2 above their season average).
- The Blue Devils’ average margin of victory in their last five games has been 5.8, down from 15.0 for the season.