The Drake Bulldogs (7-7, 1-0 MVC) can put an end to a six-game road losing streak when they take on the Southern Illinois Salukis (9-5, 1-0 MVC) at SIU Arena. The games Over/Under (O/U) opened at 143 points with Southern Illinois set as a 7.5-point favorite. Tip-off is set for 4 p.m. ET on Sunday, December 31, 2017.
Drake Bulldogs at Southern Illinois Salukis Betting Preview
In the Bulldogs last matchup, they barely escaped the Bradley Braves, 66-64. With 11 points and 11 rebounds, Drake’s Nick McGlynn played well. Drake dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had a solid free throw rate of 0.294 (above their season average of 0.228) and an offensive rebounding percentage of 30.3 (above their season average of 25.3). For those same stats, Bradley was 0.224 and 26.5, respectively.
The Salukis hope to keep it rolling after narrowly defeating the UNI Panthers in their last matchup, 56-53. With 14 points on 6-for-12 shooting, Kavion Pippen was the games leading scorer. The Salukis held the Panthers to an effective field goal percentage of 0.435 (below their season average of 0.504) and had a turnover percentage of 14.0 (better than their season average of 16.3).
Southern Illinois could have trouble getting to the charity stripe in this battle. The Salukis rank 236th in the NCAA with a free throw attempt (FTA) rate of 0.221, while Drake ranks 63rd in FTA rate allowed (0.189).
These two teams are complete opposites in terms of the O/U total. Games featuring Drake have finished over 63.6 percent of the time, while 55.6 percent of Southern Illinois games have finished under. The Salukis have the better straight up (SU) record (9-5 vs. 7-7), but the Bulldogs hold the substantial advantage against the spread (ATS) (6-4-1 vs. 4-5).
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams, after splitting two games last season. In the last contest, the Bulldogs won 88-84. Drake was effective at getting to and converting from the charity stripe. The Bulldogs made 24 of their 30 free throws (80.0 percent), while the Salukis were just 12-20 (60.0 percent).
Drake Bulldogs vs. Southern Illinois Salukis Betting Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Southern Illinois, ATS Winner – Drake, O/U – Over
- The Bulldogs rank 41st in steals allowed per game (5.3) while the Salukis rank 83rd (5.9).
- Drake is 4-4-1 ATS on the road with 6 overs and 3 unders.
- At home, Southern Illinois is 2-1 ATS with 2 unders and 1 over.
- Southern Illinois ranks 31st in assists allowed per game (10.9) while Drake ranks 177th (14.9).
- The Bulldogs rank 84th in three pointers attempted per game (24.1) while the Salukis rank 227th (18.6).
- Southern Illinois ranks 44th in blocks allowed per game (2.7) while Drake ranks 115th (3.8).
- Southern Illinois is 2-1 ATS with 2 unders and 1 over in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Drake is 2-2 ATS with 2 overs and 2 unders.
- The Salukis average margin of victory in their last five games has been 7.8, up from 4.4 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Bulldogs have scored an average of 70.4 points per game (8.2 below their season average) and allowed an average of 73.2 points per game (3.4 below their season average).