The New Orleans Pelicans (6-17) and the Detroit Pistons (9-14) battle at Smoothie King Center. The Pelicans are 1-point favorites and will try to snap their eight-game losing streak. The game’s Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 226.5 points and it can be seen on Fox Sports – Detroit at 8 p.m. ET on Monday, December 9, 2019.
Detroit Pistons vs. New Orleans Pelicans ATS Odds
The Pistons come in on a high note after beating the Indiana Pacers in their last outing, 108-101, as 1-point underdogs. The Pelicans, on the other hand, were dismantled by the Dallas Mavericks, 130-84, and failed to cover as 8.5-point underdogs. The Detroit game went 3 points under the projected point total of 212, while the New Orleans game finished 16.5 points under the projected point total of 230.5.
The Pistons had an extraordinary offensive rebounding percentage of 33.3 (above their season average of 23.0) and had a free throw rate of 0.218 (above their season average of 0.194). New Orleans, meanwhile, had a better turnover percentage (12.5 vs. 10.7). New Orleans’ Brandon Ingram had a good game, finishing with 14 points. Meanwhile, Detroit rallied around Andre Drummond, who finished with 25 points and 22 rebounds.
This was a highly contested series last year. Each won one of the two games played against each other last season. The Pistons won the most recent contest 98-94. Detroit’s 0.146 free throw rate was their biggest advantage over New Orleans, who had a rate of 0.044. This is the first time these teams will battle this year.
Vegas is known to place the total low when the Pistons are involved, as 13 of their 23 games have finished over the projected point total. Detroit comes into the game with records of 9-14 straight up (SU) and 9-12-2 against the spread (ATS).
In opposition of Detroit, Pelicans games have gone under the total 52.2 percent of the time. Further, New Orleans owns records of 6-17 SU and 8-14-1 ATS.
Opposite styles will be on display in this showdown. New Orleans prefers to play quickly (fourth in possessions per game), while Detroit likes to grind-it-out (28th in possessions per game). Also, the Pistons’ fifth-ranked offense (effective field goal percentage of 0.546) will battle against the Pelicans’ 25th-ranked defense (effective field goal percentage allowed of 0.548).
Detroit Pistons at New Orleans Pelicans Pick
Pick: SU Winner – Pistons, ATS Winner – Pistons, O/U – Over
- The Pelicans rank 19th in points off turnovers per game (17.2) while the Pistons rank 27th (15.2).
- Detroit ranks third in rebounds allowed per game (41.0) while New Orleans ranks 26th (46.8).
- The Pistons rank 13th in second chance points per game (13.3) while the Pelicans rank 28th in second chance points allowed per game (14.8).
- Detroit ranks 13th in fast break points allowed per game (13.0) while New Orleans ranks 27th (15.5).
- New Orleans ranks 14th in steals per game (7.9) while Detroit ranks 24th in steals allowed per game (8.4).
- The Pistons rank second in three pointers allowed per game (29.7) while the Pelicans rank 23rd (35.0).
- The Pistons rank ninth in assists per game (25.3) while the Pelicans rank 23rd in assists allowed per game (25.4).
- New Orleans averages 5.0 blocks per game, which ranks 15th in the league. Detroit ranks 18th in blocks allowed per game (5.1).
- Detroit averages 48.4 points in the paint per game, which ranks 11th in the NBA. New Orleans ranks last in points allowed in the paint per game (52.5).
- In games where they hold opponents below 100 points, Detroit is 4-0.
- In games where they score more than 100 points, the Pelicans are 6-14 and the Pistons are 8-11.
- Detroit is 2-7-2 ATS on the road, while New Orleans is 5-7 ATS at home.
- In 11 road games, the Pistons have 6 overs and 5 unders.
- In 12 home games, the Pelicans have 7 unders and 5 overs.
- The Pistons are 3-2 ATS over their last five games, while the Pelicans are 0-4-1.
- In their last five games, Detroit has 4 overs and 1 under, while New Orleans has 4 unders and 1 over.
- The Pistons’ average margin of victory in their last five games has been 9.4, up from 0.3 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Pelicans have scored an average of 104.2 points per game (9.0 below their season average) and allowed an average of 120.6 points per game (0.4 above their season average).