The New Orleans Pelicans (19-19) will be at home in Smoothie King Center when they clash against the Detroit Pistons (21-17). Tip-off is set for 8 p.m. ET on Monday, January 8, 2018, and it can be seen on Fox Sports – Detroit.
Detroit Pistons vs. New Orleans Pelicans Betting Preview
The Pistons defeated the Houston Rockets in their last contest, 108-101. Tobias Harris was the top scorer from either team with 27 points on 8-for-15 shooting. Detroit played a nearly perfect game. They had a great free throw rate of 0.267 (above their season average of 0.166) and an effective field goal percentage of 0.587 (above their season average of 0.509). For those same stats, Houston was 0.111 and 0.506, respectively.
In the Pelicans last game, they were defeated by the Minnesota Timberwolves, 116-98. DeMarcus Cousins was the games leading scorer with 23 points on 6-for-11 shooting. Minnesota had an offensive rebounding percentage of 29.5 (above their season average of 24.5). New Orleans, on the other hand, did a terrific job of getting and making free throws (26-28; 92.9 percent).
It could be a sloppy game for the New Orleans offense. New Orleans ranks 26th in the league in ball protection (turnover percentage of 15.2 percent), while the disruptive defense of Detroit forces the fifth-most turnovers in the NBA (15.4 percent).
These two teams are complete opposites in terms of the O/U total. Games featuring Detroit have gone under 60.5 percent of the time, while New Orleans games have finished over 57.9 percent of the time. The Pistons have the clear advantage straight up (SU) (21-17 vs. 19-19), but both teams have similar against the spread (ATS) records. Detroit is 21-15-2 ATS, while New Orleans is 21-17 ATS.
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams, after splitting two games last season. In the last contest, the Pelicans won 109-86. New Orleans did a fantastic job of converting from the charity stripe (22-23; 95.7 percent). Detroit, meanwhile, had a much better turnover percentage (6.0 vs. 13.7).
Detroit Pistons vs. New Orleans Pelicans Betting Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Pelicans, ATS Winner – Pelicans, O/U – Under
- The Pistons rank fourth in points off turnovers allowed per game (14.6) while the Pelicans rank 23rd (18.4).
- New Orleans ranks second in points in the paint per game (50.4) while Detroit ranks 19th (42.3).
- New Orleans ranks 12th in blocks per game (4.8) while Detroit ranks last (3.3).
- New Orleans is 9-9 ATS at home, while Detroit is 11-8-1 ATS on the road.
- The total has gone over in 12 of the Pelicans 18 home games, while 13 of the Pistons 20 road games have gone under.
- In games where they hold opponents under 100 points, New Orleans is 7-0 and Detroit is 11-4.
- When scoring above 100 points, the Pistons are 18-5 and the Pelicans are 17-13.
- The Pistons rank fourth in second chance points allowed per game (10.8) while the Pelicans rank 22nd (13.1).
- Detroit ranks second in fast break points allowed per game (7.9) while New Orleans ranks 26th (13.9).
- The Pelicans rank second in assists per game (26.4) while the Pistons rank 25th in assists allowed per game (24.3).
- The Pistons rank 12th in three pointers allowed per game (27.9) while the Pelicans rank 26th (30.9).
- Detroit ranks eighth in steals allowed per game (7.0) while New Orleans ranks 28th (8.8).
- New Orleans is 2-3 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Detroit is 2-3 ATS with 4 unders and 1 over.
- The Pelicans average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 0.6, up from 0.3 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Pistons have scored an average of 94.4 points per game (7.3 below their season average) and allowed an average of 101.4 points per game (0.2 below their season average).