The Minnesota Timberwolves (10-5) will be at home in Target Center when they challenge the Detroit Pistons (10-5). The Over/Under (O/U) for the game has been set at 208.5 points with Minnesota opening as a 5.5-point favorite. Tip-off is scheduled for 7 p.m. ET on Sunday, November 19, 2017, and it can be seen on Fox Sports Detroit Plus.
Detroit Pistons vs. Minnesota Timberwolves Betting Preview
The last time the Pistons played, they fell to the Indiana Pacers, 107-100. Detroits Andre Drummond had 11 points, 15 rebounds and five assists in the contest. Indianas 0.157 free throw rate was their biggest advantage over Detroit, who had a mark of 0.086. The Pacers mark was below their season average of 0.181, while the Pistons was below their season average of 0.168.
The Timberwolves come in on a high note after thoroughly outplaying the Dallas Mavericks in their last contest, 111-87. Minnesota received a boost from Jimmy Butler, who was the top scorer from either team with 21 points on 8-for-19 shooting. Minnesota dominated every facet of the game. They had a free throw rate of 0.238 (matching their season average) and an effective field goal percentage of 0.542 (above their season average of 0.513). For those same stats, Dallas recorded marks of 0.174 and 0.419, respectively.
Getting to the line might be scarce for Detroit in this contest. The Pistons rank 28th in the league with a free throw attempt (FTA) rate of 0.162, while Minnesota ranks second in FTA rate allowed (0.158).
Of Detroits 15 games, eight have finished over the O/U total, while 8 of Minnesotas 15 games have finished under the projected point total. Both teams have solid straight up (SU) records (10-5 for Detroit; 10-5 for Minnesota), but the Pistons have the advantage against the spread (ATS). Detroit is 10-4-1 ATS, while the Timberwolves are 8-6-1.
Both teams have had a player heat up over their last five games. For the Pistons, its been Avery Bradley, who has averaged 22.0 points and 1.2 steals, while the Timberwolves have received solid contributions from Taj Gibson (12.6 points and 9.2 rebounds).
These teams have already met once this season. In that game, the two teams combined to put up 223 points, which was over the projected point total of 209. The Pistons won 122-101, covering as 3-point underdogs. Detroit had a much better offensive rebounding percentage (28.6 vs. 16.7). Minnesota, on the other hand, did an excellent job of converting from the charity stripe (18-21; 85.7 percent). Tobias Harris was the games leading scorer with 34 points.
Detroit Pistons vs. Minnesota Timberwolves Free Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Timberwolves, ATS Winner – Pistons, O/U – Under
- The Timberwolves rank fourth in steals per game (8.9) while the Pistons rank 15th (8.0).
- Detroit ranks 13th in assists per game (22.2) while Minnesota ranks 22nd in assists allowed per game (23.9).
- Detroit ranks second in second chance points allowed per game (9.3) while Minnesota ranks 12th (11.7).
- Minnesota ranks 23rd in blocks per game (3.7) while Detroit ranks 27th (3.5).
- On the road, Detroit is 5-2 ATS with 4 unders and 3 overs.
- At home, Minnesota is 4-2 ATS with 3 unders, 2 overs and 1 push.
- In games where they allow below 100 points, Minnesota is 7-0 and Detroit is 5-2.
- The Timberwolves are 9-4 when they score above 100 points, while the Pistons are 9-2.
- The Pistons rank 14th in points in the paint per game (44.7) while the Timberwolves rank 23rd in points allowed in the paint per game (46.9).
- Detroit ranks seventh in points off turnovers allowed per game (15.3) while Minnesota ranks 28th (20.3).
- The Pistons rank ninth in fast break points allowed per game (9.5) while the Timberwolves rank 27th (14.4).
- The Timberwolves rank fourth in rebounds allowed per game (41.0) while the Pistons rank ninth (42.5).
- Detroit ranks 14th in three pointers attempted per game (29.1) while Minnesota ranks 26th (22.8).
- Minnesota is 3-2 ATS with 5 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Detroit is 3-2 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders.
- The Timberwolves average margin of victory in their last five games has been 3.0, up from 0.7 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Pistons have scored an average of 106.4 points per game (1.1 above their season average) and allowed an average of 102.0 points per game (0.5 above their season average).