The Detroit Pistons (29-33) look to snap a seven-game road losing streak when they take on the Miami Heat (32-30) at AmericanAirlines Arena. Miami is a 5-point favorite on the opening line, while the Over/Under (O/U) for the game opened at 206 points. Action starts at 7:30 p.m. ET on Saturday, March 3, 2018, and it can be seen on Fox Sports – Detroit.
Detroit Pistons vs. Miami Heat Free Preview
In the Pistons last outing, they fell to the Orlando Magic, 115-106. Blake Griffin had a good game for Detroit, recording 12 points, 10 rebounds and nine assists. Orlando had an effective field goal percentage of 0.587 (above their season average of 0.522). Detroit, meanwhile, had a much better offensive rebounding percentage (25.5 vs. 18.9).
The Heat are hoping for a better outcome after their 131-113 loss to the Los Angeles Lakers in their last game. With 15 points and 10 rebounds, Bam Adebayo had a solid performance for Miami. Los Angeles did an excellent job of making free throws (21-26; 80.8 percent). Miami, on the other hand, had an offensive rebounding percentage of 31.8 (above their season average of 21.2).
Half-court execution will be of utmost importance when a pair of the leagues slowest-paced teams square off. Miami ranks 27th in possessions per game (97.1) and Detroit is 21st (98.2).
Of Detroit’s 61 games with betting action, 33 have finished under the O/U total, while 33 of Miami’s 62 games have finished under the O/U total. Both teams have middling straight up (SU) records (29-33 for Detroit; 32-30 for Miami), but the Heat have the advantage against the spread (ATS). Miami is 31-29-2 ATS, while the Pistons are 27-32-2.
Reggie Bullock has been on fire over the last five games for Detroit, averaging 14.4 points per game.
These two teams have already met three times this year, with the Pistons leading the series two games to one. Goran Dragic led both teams with 33 points in the most recent game, in which the Heat lost 111-107 but covered as 4.5-point underdogs. The two teams combined to score 218 points, which was 18 points above the projected point total of 200 points. The Pistons dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had a free throw rate of 0.167 and a ridiculous offensive rebounding percentage of 33.3. For those same stats, the Heat were 0.055 and 16.3, respectively.
Detroit Pistons at Miami Heat Odds Prediction
NBA Tip: SU Winner – Heat, ATS Winner – Heat, O/U – Under
- The Heat rank third in three pointers allowed per game (25.9) while the Pistons rank 18th (29.9).
- Detroit ranks 17th in fast break points per game (10.8) while Miami ranks 27th (8.0).
- Detroit is 14-13-1 ATS on the road with 16 unders, 11 overs and 1 push.
- Miami is 9-18-2 ATS at home with 15 unders, 13 overs and 1 push.
- Miami is 19-6 when they hold opponents below 100 points, while Detroit is 15-6.
- The Pistons are 26-15 when they score over 100 points, while the Heat are 22-14.
- The Pistons rank fifth in points off turnovers allowed per game (14.7) while the Heat rank 14th (16.1).
- Miami ranks seventh in blocks per game (5.2) while Detroit ranks last (3.6).
- The Heat rank third in assists allowed per game (20.4) while the Pistons rank 26th (24.9).
- Detroit ranks ninth in second chance points per game (13.1) while Miami ranks 27th (10.6).
- Miami is 3-2 ATS with 4 overs and 1 under in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Detroit is 1-4 ATS with 3 unders, 1 over and 1 push.
- The Heat have outscored opponents by an average of 1.2 points in their last five games. On the season, Miami has lost by an average of 0.7 points.
- During their last five games, the Pistons have scored an average of 101.2 points per game (2.0 below their season average) and allowed an average of 109.8 points per game (5.8 above their season average).