The Cleveland Cavaliers (5-14) welcome the Detroit Pistons (7-13) to Rocket Mortgage FieldHouse. The Pistons are 2.5-point favorites and can end a nine-game road losing streak. The game’s Over/Under (O/U) opened at 214.5 points and it can be seen on Fox Sports – Detroit at 7 p.m. ET on Tuesday, December 3, 2019.
Detroit Pistons vs. Cleveland Cavaliers Betting Odds
Both teams covered in their last matchup. The Pistons (2.5-point favorites) beat the San Antonio Spurs, 132-98, while the Cavaliers (11.5-point underdogs) were defeated by the Milwaukee Bucks, 119-110. The Detroit game finished 13 points over the projected point total of 217, while the Cleveland game finished 1 point under the projected point total of 230.
The Pistons had a great offensive rebounding percentage of 31.4 (above their season average of 22.9) and had an effective field goal percentage of 0.676 (above their season average of 0.539). Cleveland, meanwhile, made 17 of their 34 three pointers (50.0 percent). Tristan Thompson was a key piece for Cleveland with 11 points and 13 rebounds. Meanwhile, Christian Wood had a solid performance for Detroit, recording 28 points and 10 rebounds.
The Pistons captured this series last year, taking three out of four contests. In the last contest, Cleveland won 126-119. Cleveland made good use of their 27 trips to the free throw line, converting on 23 of them (85.2 percent). Detroit, meanwhile, was 17-21 (81.0 percent). This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams.
Games including the Pistons tend to finish over the O/U total (55.0 percent). Detroit heads into the contest with records of 7-13 straight up (SU) and 7-11-2 against the spread (ATS).
Unlike Detroit, games including the Cavaliers have typically gone under the O/U total (57.9 percent). Additionally, Cleveland owns records of 5-14 SU and 8-9-2 ATS.
Half-court execution will be critical when two of the NBA’s slowest-paced teams go head-to-head. Cleveland ranks 24th in possessions per game (101.4) and Detroit is 29th (100.0). Moreover, the Pistons’ third-ranked offense (effective field goal percentage of 0.546) will face off against the Cavaliers’ 27th-ranked defense (effective field goal percentage allowed of 0.549).
Pistons at Cavaliers Odds Pick
Free Prediction: SU Winner – Pistons, ATS Winner – Pistons, O/U – Under
- The Pistons rank second in three pointers allowed per game (29.8) while the Cavaliers rank eighth (32.8).
- Detroit ranks ninth in blocks per game (5.3) while Cleveland ranks 27th in blocks allowed per game (7.1).
- The Pistons average 47.6 points in the paint per game, which ranks 13th in the NBA. The Cavaliers rank 26th in points allowed in the paint per game (51.4).
- Cleveland ranks 19th in steals per game (7.4) while Detroit ranks 26th (6.5).
- Detroit ranks third in rebounds allowed per game (40.8) while Cleveland ranks 10th (45.0).
- The Pistons rank ninth in assists per game (25.1) while the Cavaliers rank 26th (20.6).
- The Pistons rank 15th in second chance points per game (13.1) while the Cavaliers rank 22nd in second chance points allowed per game (13.9).
- Detroit ranks 24th in fast break points per game (11.5) while Cleveland ranks 25th (11.3).
- Cleveland ranks 11th in points off turnovers allowed per game (16.7) while Detroit ranks 27th (19.6).
- Cleveland is 2-2 when they allow under 100 points, while Detroit is 3-0.
- When reaching 100 points, the Cavaliers are 5-9 and the Pistons are 6-10.
- Cleveland is 4-5-1 ATS at home, while Detroit is 1-7-2 ATS on the road.
- The total has gone over in 5 of the Pistons’ 10 road games, while 6 of the Cavaliers’ 10 home games have gone under.
- In their last five games, Detroit and Cleveland are both 2-3 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs.
- During their last five games, the Pistons have scored an average of 106.6 points per game (1.6 below their season average) and allowed an average of 100.4 points per game (8.3 below their season average).
- The Cavaliers’ average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 11.8, up from 7.4 for the season.