The Detroit Pistons (29-34) can snap an eight-game road losing streak when they take on the Cleveland Cavaliers (36-26) at Quicken Loans Arena. The Over/Under (O/U) for the game opened at 218.5 points with Cleveland set as a 7-point favorite. Action starts at 7 p.m. ET on Monday, March 5, 2018, and it can be seen on NBATV.
Detroit Pistons at Cleveland Cavaliers Betting Preview
The Pistons were beaten by the Miami Heat in their last game, 105-96. Detroit’s Andre Drummond finished with 22 points and 18 rebounds in the game. Miami had a free throw rate of 0.232 (above their season average of 0.175). Detroit, on the other hand, had an offensive rebounding percentage of 36.2 (above their season average of 23.0).
The last time the Cavaliers played, they were beaten by the Denver Nuggets, 126-117. With 25 points, 15 assists and 10 rebounds, LeBron James led the way for Cleveland with his 12th triple-double this year. Denver made 19 of their 35 three pointers (54.3 percent). Cleveland, meanwhile, had an offensive rebounding percentage of 29.3 (above their season average of 19.6).
When looking at effective field goal percentage, Cleveland figures to have a substantial advantage. The sharp-shooting Cavaliers offense ranks third in the NBA in that metric at 0.545, while the porous Detroit defense is ranked 21st in effective field goal percentage allowed (0.529). Moreover, the Pistons rank 28th in free throw attempt (FTA) rate (0.170), while the Cavaliers rank first in opponents’ FTA rate (0.166).
Of Detroit’s 63 games, 34 have finished under the projected point total, while 32 of Cleveland’s 62 games have finished over the O/U total. The Cavaliers have the superior straight up (SU) record (36-26 vs. 29-34), but the Pistons hold the substantial advantage against the spread (ATS) (27-34-2 vs. 19-42-1).
Both teams have had a player heat up over their last five games. For the Pistons, it’s been Reggie Bullock, who has averaged 15.6 points, while the Cavaliers have received solid contributions from James (28.8 points, 11.4 rebounds, 9.4 assists and 1.2 steals).
These two teams have met three times already this season, with the Cavaliers leading the series two games to one. In the most recent matchup, Drummond had 21 points, 22 rebounds and seven assists and the Pistons, who were 5.5-point underdogs, beat the Cavaliers 125-114. The two teams combined to put up 239 points, which was 20 points above the projected point total of 219 points. The Pistons dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had a solid turnover percentage of 8.7 and an offensive rebounding percentage of 19.0. For those same stats, the Cavaliers were 13.3 and 15.2, respectively.
Detroit Pistons at Cleveland Cavaliers Free Prediction
Free Pick: SU Winner – Pistons, ATS Winner – Pistons, O/U – Under
- The Pistons rank 12th in points in the paint per game (44.6) while the Cavaliers rank 23rd in points allowed in the paint per game (46.5).
- Detroit ranks fifth in points off turnovers allowed per game (14.9) while Cleveland ranks 14th (16.6).
- Detroit ranks fourth in second chance points allowed per game (11.0) while Cleveland ranks 14th (12.4).
- Detroit ranks 18th in rebounds per game (43.2) while Cleveland ranks 23rd in rebounds allowed per game (44.1).
- Detroit is 14-15-1 ATS on the road, while Cleveland is 6-25-1 ATS at home.
- The Pistons have 17 unders, 12 overs and 1 push in 30 road games.
- In 32 home games, the Cavaliers have 16 overs, 15 unders and 1 push.
- Detroit is 15-6 when they allow less than 100 points, while Cleveland is 13-2.
- In games where they score over 100 points, the Cavaliers are 35-14 and the Pistons are 26-15.
- The Pistons rank second in fast break points allowed per game (9.2) while the Cavaliers rank 12th (11.4).
- Cleveland averages 23.5 assists per game, which ranks 10th in the league. Detroit ranks 27th in assists allowed per game (24.8).
- The Cavaliers rank third in blocks allowed per game (4.1) while the Pistons rank 19th (5.0).
- The Pistons rank 17th in steals per game (7.6) while the Cavaliers rank 25th (7.0).
- Cleveland averages 32.6 three pointers per game, which ranks fourth in the NBA. Detroit ranks 20th in three pointers allowed per game (29.9).
- Cleveland is 1-4 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Detroit is 1-4 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs.
- The Cavaliers average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 1.4, up from 0.0 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Pistons have scored an average of 100.8 points per game (2.3 below their season average) and allowed an average of 108.8 points per game (4.8 above their season average).