The Atlanta Hawks (10-32) will be 2-point underdogs at home in State Farm Arena when they square off against the Detroit Pistons (15-27). The game’s Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 227 points and it will air on Fox Sports – Detroit at 7:30 p.m. ET on Saturday, January 18, 2020.
Detroit Pistons at Atlanta Hawks Betting Odds
In the Pistons’ last matchup, they beat the Boston Celtics, 116-103, as 9.5-point underdogs. The Hawks, on the other hand, defeated the San Antonio Spurs,121-120, but failed to cover as 2-point favorites. Both games finished over their projected point totals. The Detroit game went 1 point over the projected point total of 218, while the Atlanta game finished 9.5 points over the projected point total of 231.5.
The Pistons forced 15 turnovers and had an effective field goal percentage of 0.679 (above their season average of 0.531). Atlanta, on the other hand, launched 40 three pointers, making 19 of them (47.5 percent), while San Antonio was 8-29 (27.6 percent). Trae Young was a key piece for Atlanta with 31 points, nine assists and five rebounds. Detroit, meanwhile, was lifted by Andre Drummond, who had 13 points, 13 rebounds and seven assists.
The Pistons evened the season series at one with a 128-103 blowout victory in their most recent game. DeAndre’ Bembry was a top performer in the game with 22 points and six assists. Detroit’s 0.701 effective field goal percentage was its biggest advantage over Atlanta, who had a mark of 0.489. Detroit covered as a 6-point favorite and the two teams combined for 231 points, which was just over the projected point total of 227.5.
Matchups including the Pistons have typically gone over the total (59.5 percent). Detroit holds records of 15-27 straight up (SU) and 15-25-2 against the spread (ATS).
Hawks games have gone over the O/U total 51.2 percent of the time. Further, Atlanta owns records of 10-32 SU and 18-23 ATS.
Opposite paces will be on display in this meeting. Atlanta prefers a fast-breaking style of play (second in possessions per game), while Detroit is more half-court-oriented (21st in possessions per game).
Pistons vs. Hawks Betting Pick
Prediction: SU Winner – Pistons, ATS Winner – Pistons, O/U – Over
- The Pistons rank 14th in assists per game (24.5) while the Hawks rank 18th in assists allowed per game (24.5).
- Detroit ranks fifth in rebounds allowed per game (43.5) while Atlanta ranks 27th (47.5).
- The Pistons average 13.4 second chance points per game, which ranks 10th in the league. The Hawks rank 28th in second chance points allowed per game (14.8).
- Atlanta ranks eighth in steals per game (8.1) while Detroit ranks 25th in steals allowed per game (8.2).
- Detroit ranks second in three pointers allowed per game (30.1) while Atlanta ranks sixth (31.9).
- The Pistons rank eighth in points in the paint per game (49.3) while the Hawks rank 29th in points allowed in the paint per game (53.3).
- The Hawks average 17.0 points off turnovers per game, which ranks 15th in the league. The Pistons rank 24th in points off turnovers allowed per game (18.3).
- Detroit ranks 20th in fast break points per game (12.1) while Atlanta ranks 23rd in fast break points allowed per game (14.5).
- Atlanta ranks ninth in blocks per game (5.2) while Detroit ranks 27th in blocks allowed per game (5.6).
- In games where they allow less than 100 points, Atlanta is 3-0 and Detroit is 4-0.
- The Pistons are 14-19 when they score over 100 points, while the Hawks are 10-25.
- Detroit is 7-12-2 ATS on the road, while Atlanta is 11-8 ATS at home.
- The Pistons have 11 overs and 10 unders in 21 road games.
- Of the Hawks’ 19 home games, they have 11 unders and 8 overs.
- The Hawks are 2-3 ATS over their last five games, while the Pistons are 1-4.
- In their last five games, Atlanta has 3 unders and 2 overs, while Detroit has 4 overs and 1 under.
- The Hawks’ average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 5.0, down from 9.2 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Pistons have scored an average of 110.4 points per game (1.9 above their season average) and allowed an average of 111.2 points per game (0.2 above their season average).