A five-game home winning streak hangs in the balance for the San Antonio Spurs (15-8) when they clash against the Detroit Pistons (14-8) at AT&T Center. The Over/Under (O/U) for the game has been set at 198 points with San Antonio opening as a 3.5-point favorite. Action starts at 8:30 p.m. ET on Monday, December 4, 2017, and it can be seen on Fox Sports – Detroit.
Detroit Pistons at San Antonio Spurs Free Preview
The Pistons lost to the Philadelphia 76ers in their last game, 108-103. Andre Drummond put together a solid performance for Detroit, finishing with 14 points, 11 rebounds and six assists. Philadelphia had an offensive rebounding percentage of 37.0 (above their season average of 26.3). Detroit, meanwhile, held the 76ers to an effective field goal percentage of 0.465 (below their season average of 0.520).
In the Spurs last game, they were topped by the Oklahoma City Thunder, 90-87. Dejounte Murray was San Antonio’s leading scorer with 17 points on 7-for-15 shooting. Oklahoma City had an offensive rebounding percentage of 32.6 (above their season average of 25.6). San Antonio, on the other hand, did a terrific job of making free throws (17-23; 73.9 percent).
Half-court execution will be critical when a pair of the leagues slowest-paced teams clash. San Antonio currently ranks 29th in possessions per game (96.0) and Detroit is 23rd (98.5). Also, the Pistons rank 28th in free throw attempt (FTA) rate (0.166), while the Spurs rank third in opponents FTA rate (0.162).
Of Detroit’s 22 games, 12 have finished under the projected point total, while 13 of San Antonio’s 22 games have finished under the projected point total. Both teams have solid straight up (SU) records (14-8 for Detroit; 15-8 for San Antonio), but the Pistons have the advantage against the spread (ATS). Detroit is 14-7-1 ATS, while the Spurs are 11-9-2.
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams. The Spurs won both contests played against each other last season. In the most recent matchup, San Antonio won 103-92. The Spurs dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had a great offensive rebounding percentage of 28.2 and a free throw rate of 0.146. For those same stats, the Pistons put up marks of 14.6 and 0.098, respectively.
Detroit Pistons at San Antonio Spurs Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Spurs, ATS Winner – Pistons, O/U – Under
- The Pistons rank 17th in three pointers attempted per game (29.2) while the Spurs rank 25th (24.7).
- Detroit ranks seventh in points off turnovers per game (18.9) while San Antonio ranks 13th in points off turnovers allowed per game (17.0).
- Detroit is 8-4 ATS on the road with 8 unders and 4 overs.
- San Antonio is 8-3-1 ATS at home with 7 overs and 5 unders.
- Detroit is 7-2 when they allow under 100 points, while San Antonio is 10-4.
- The Spurs are 11-0 when they score over 100 points, while the Pistons are 12-3.
- The Spurs rank first in second chance points allowed per game (9.8) while the Pistons rank sixth (10.7).
- San Antonio ranks second in blocks per game (6.2) while Detroit ranks 26th (3.5).
- The Pistons rank 13th in points in the paint per game (44.5) while the Spurs rank 25th (41.0).
- San Antonio averages 22.7 assists per game, which ranks 13th in the NBA. Detroit ranks 23rd in assists allowed per game (24.1).
- San Antonio is 2-2-1 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Detroit is 3-2 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs.
- The Spurs average margin of victory in their last five games has been 9.8, up from 3.7 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Pistons have scored an average of 108.4 points per game (3.4 above their season average) and allowed an average of 106.0 points per game (3.0 above their season average).