The Charlotte Hornets (26-33) will be at home in Spectrum Center when they clash against the Detroit Pistons (28-30). Charlotte opened as a 4.5-point favorite, while the Over/Under (O/U) for the game has been set at 214.5 points. Tip-off is set for 1 p.m. ET on Sunday, February 25, 2018, and it can be seen on Fox Sports – Detroit.
Detroit Pistons at Charlotte Hornets Odds Preview
In the Pistons last contest, they were beaten by the Boston Celtics, 110-98. Detroit’s Andre Drummond contributed 15 points and 17 rebounds in the contest. Boston made 17 of their 39 three pointers (43.6 percent). Detroit, meanwhile, had a better free throw rate (0.165 vs. 0.129).
The Hornets come in on a high note after beating the Washington Wizards in their last game, 122-105. Charlotte rallied around Kemba Walker, who led the team in scoring with 24 points on 8-for-17 shooting. Charlotte played a nearly flawless game. They had an extraordinarily low turnover percentage of 7.5 (better than their season average of 11.2) and an offensive rebounding percentage of 30.2 (above their season average of 22.6). Washington was 13.7 and 17.6, respectively, for those same stats.
Getting to the line might be scarce for Detroit in this showdown. The Pistons rank 27th in the NBA with a free throw attempt (FTA) rate of 0.171, while Charlotte ranks fifth in FTA rate allowed (0.174).
Of Detroit’s 58 games, 31 have finished under the O/U total, while 29 of Charlotte’s 59 games have finished over the projected point total. Both teams have mediocre straight up (SU) records (28-30 for Detroit; 26-33 for Charlotte), but the Pistons have the advantage against the spread (ATS). Detroit is 26-30-2 ATS, while the Hornets are 23-32-4.
Reggie Bullock has really been playing well over the last five games for Detroit, averaging 15.4 points per game.
These two teams have already met twice this season, each winning once. In the most recent game, Dwight Howard scored a game-high 21 points and the Hornets beat the Pistons 118-107, covering as 3-point underdogs. He also had 17 rebounds. The two teams combined for 225 points, which was 22 points above the projected point total of 203 points. The Hornets dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had an offensive rebounding percentage of 20.5 and a solid free throw rate of 0.262. For those same stats, the Pistons recorded marks of 7.0 and 0.093, respectively.
Detroit Pistons vs. Charlotte Hornets Odds Prediction
NBA Tip: SU Winner – Hornets, ATS Winner – Pistons, O/U – Under
- The Pistons rank 17th in steals per game (7.5) while the Hornets rank 27th (6.9).
- Charlotte is second in the league with 13.9 points off turnovers allowed per game while Detroit is fifth with 14.6 points off turnovers allowed per game.
- Detroit ranks 17th in fast break points per game (10.5) while Charlotte ranks 27th (9.3).
- Charlotte is 14-16-1 ATS at home, while Detroit is 14-11-1 ATS on the road.
- The total has gone under in 15 of the Pistons 26 road games, while 16 of the Hornets 31 home games have gone under.
- Detroit is 14-6 when they hold opponents under 100 points, while Charlotte is 9-3.
- The Hornets and Pistons are both 25-14 when they reach 100 points.
- The Pistons rank 17th in three pointers attempted per game (28.7) while the Hornets rank 23rd in three pointers allowed per game (30.1).
- Charlotte ranks third in rebounds per game (45.7) while Detroit ranks 19th (42.9).
- The Pistons rank 15th in assists per game (22.7) while the Hornets rank 27th (21.1).
- The Hornets rank first in second chance points allowed per game (9.9) while the Pistons rank fourth (10.9).
- Charlotte ranks 18th in blocks per game (4.6) while Detroit ranks 29th (3.8).
- Charlotte is 2-3 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Detroit is 0-5 ATS with 3 unders, 1 over and 1 push.
- The Hornets have outscored opponents by an average of 0.4 points in their last five games. On the season, Charlotte has been defeated by an average of 0.1 points.
- During their last five games, the Pistons have scored an average of 103.0 points per game (0.3 below their season average) and allowed an average of 110.4 points per game (6.8 above their season average).