The Detroit Pistons (19-39) head to Moda Center at the Rose Quarter to take on the Portland Trail Blazers (25-32). The Pistons are 4-point underdogs and look to put an end to their five-game losing streak. The game’s Over/Under (O/U) opened at 226.5 points and it can be seen on Fox Sports – Detroit at 9 p.m. ET on Sunday, February 23, 2020.
Detroit Pistons vs. Portland Trail Blazers ATS Odds
Both teams failed to cover as underdogs in their last game. The Trail Blazers (5.5-point underdogs) were defeated by the New Orleans Pelicans, 128-115, while the Pistons (13-point underdogs) fell to the Milwaukee Bucks, 126-106. Both games went over their projected point totals. The Portland game went 4.5 points over the projected point total of 238.5, while the Detroit game finished 5 points over the projected point total of 227.
Detroit held Milwaukee to an offensive rebounding percentage of 17.0 (below the 24.0 mark opponents have averaged against Detroit this season) while Portland forced New Orleans into a turnover percentage of 14.7 (above the 10.5 mark opponents have averaged against Portland this season). CJ McCollum played a key role for Portland with 27 points, 10 assists and six rebounds. Meanwhile, Bruce Brown played well for Detroit, recording 16 points, 10 rebounds and seven assists.
This was a highly competitive series last year, as the teams split their two games last season. In the last matchup, the Pistons won 99-90. Getting to the free throw line was one of Detroit’s biggest strengths. They made 26 trips to the line, while Portland went just 11 times. This will be the first game of the year between these two teams.
Of the Pistons’ 58 games, 35 have finished over the projected point total. Detroit holds records of 19-39 straight up (SU) and 21-35-2 against the spread (ATS).
Of the Trail Blazers’ 57 games, 31 have finished over the O/U total. Further, Portland owns records of 25-32 SU and 23-32-2 ATS.
Portland could put on a ball-control clinic in this battle. Portland ranks fourth in the NBA at avoiding errors (turnover percentage of 12.1 percent), while Detroit forces the ninth-fewest turnovers (13.2 percent).
Pistons vs. Trail Blazers ATS Pick
Prediction: SU Winner – Trail Blazers, ATS Winner – Pistons, O/U – Over
- The Pistons rank ninth in fast break points allowed per game (12.5) while the Trail Blazers rank 25th (14.8).
- Portland ranks second in blocks per game (6.3) while Detroit ranks 26th in blocks allowed per game (5.7).
- The Trail Blazers rank second in points off turnovers allowed per game (14.3) while the Pistons rank 22nd (17.6).
- Detroit ranks eighth in points in the paint per game (49.0) while Portland ranks 26th (44.1).
- Portland ranks fifth in steals allowed per game (6.9) while Detroit ranks 22nd (8.1).
- The Pistons rank seventh in rebounds allowed per game (43.6) while the Trail Blazers rank last (48.0).
- The Pistons rank 12th in second chance points per game (13.3) while the Trail Blazers rank last in second chance points allowed per game (15.9).
- Detroit ranks 15th in assists per game (24.1) while Portland ranks last (20.0).
- Detroit ranks second in three pointers allowed per game (29.9) while Portland ranks 22nd (35.0).
- Portland is 4-0 when they hold opponents below 100 points, while Detroit is 4-3.
- The Pistons are 18-27 when they reach 100 points, while the Trail Blazers are 25-25.
- Detroit is 10-15-2 ATS on the road, while Portland is 11-15-1 ATS at home.
- The total has gone over in 17 of the Trail Blazers’ 27 home games, while 14 of the Pistons’ 27 road games have gone over.
- In their last five games, Detroit and Portland are both 2-3 ATS.
- The Pistons have 3 unders and 2 overs over their last five games, while the Trail Blazers have 3 overs and 2 unders
- During their last five games, the Pistons have scored an average of 97.4 points per game (10.5 below their season average) and allowed an average of 106.4 points per game (4.4 below their season average).
- The Trail Blazers’ average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 7.6, up from 2.1 for the season.