The Detroit Pistons (19-41) and the Phoenix Suns (24-35) square off at Talking Stick Resort Arena. The Pistons look to snap their seven-game losing streak. The game starts at 9 p.m. ET on Friday, February 28, 2020, and will air on Fox Sports – Detroit.
Detroit Pistons at Phoenix Suns ATS Odds
Both teams failed to cover as underdogs in their last outing. The Suns (7.5-point underdogs) were defeated by the Los Angeles Clippers, 102-92, while the Pistons (13.5-point underdogs) fell to the Denver Nuggets, 115-98. The Phoenix game finished 39 points under the projected point total of 233, while the Detroit game went 0.5 points over the projected point total of 212.5.
Detroit forced Denver into a turnover percentage of 17.4 (above their season average of 11.4) while Phoenix had an offensive rebounding percentage of 28.6 (above their season average of 22.2). Phoenix’s Deandre Ayton had a solid performance, putting up 25 points and 17 rebounds. Detroit rallied around Christian Wood, who contributed 20 points and 10 rebounds.
In their first matchup this season, Andre Drummond led the Pistons to a 116-108 win. He registered a double-double with 31 points and 19 rebounds. Detroit covered as a 3-point underdog and the two teams combined to put up 224 points, which was over the projected point total of 217. Detroit had a much better turnover percentage (5.6 vs. 15.2). Phoenix, meanwhile, did a great job of making free throws (12-15; 80.0 percent).
Vegas tends to place the total low when the Pistons are involved, as 60.0 percent of their games have gone over the total. Detroit heads into the game with records of 19-41 straight up (SU) and 22-36-2 against the spread (ATS).
Contrary to Detroit, Suns games have gone under the total 50.8 percent of the time. Further, Phoenix owns records of 24-35 SU and 27-31-1 ATS.
The Pistons’ Wood has been playing at a high level over his last five games, averaging 19 points,10.2 rebounds,1.4 blocks per game. Meanwhile, Ricky Rubio has averaged 15 points,9.0 assists,3.2 steals during that same time frame for the Suns.
It could be an error-filled game for the Detroit offense. Detroit ranks 28th in the NBA in ball protection (turnover percentage of 14.7 percent), while the gambling defense of Phoenix forces the third-most turnovers in the NBA (15.0 percent).
Detroit Pistons at Phoenix Suns Betting Pick
Pick: SU Winner – Pistons, ATS Winner – Pistons, O/U – Over
- The Pistons rank second in three pointers allowed per game (29.8) while the Suns rank sixth (32.1).
- Phoenix ranks fourth in points off turnovers per game (18.7) while Detroit ranks 23rd (15.9).
- The Suns average 8.0 steals per game, which ranks 11th in the NBA. The Pistons rank 22nd in steals allowed per game (8.1).
- Detroit ranks 11th in points in the paint per game (48.6) while Phoenix ranks 20th in points allowed in the paint per game (49.7).
- Phoenix ranks 21st in rebounds per game (43.2) while Detroit ranks 27th (42.3).
- The Suns average 27.1 assists per game, which ranks second in the NBA. The Pistons rank 21st in assists allowed per game (24.9).
- The Pistons rank 19th in blocks per game (4.7) while the Suns rank 26th (3.9).
- Detroit ranks 12th in second chance points per game (13.4) while Phoenix ranks 25th (12.2).
- Phoenix is 7-2 when they hold opponents under 100 points, while Detroit is 4-3.
- In games where they score over 100 points, the Suns are 23-28 and the Pistons are 18-28.
- Phoenix is 11-18-1 ATS at home, while Detroit is 11-16-2 ATS on the road.
- The Pistons have 15 overs and 14 unders in 29 road games.
- In 30 home games, the Suns have 16 overs and 14 unders.
- In their last five games, Detroit and Phoenix are both 2-3 ATS.
- The Pistons have 3 overs and 2 unders over their last five games, while the Suns have 4 unders and 1 over
- The Pistons’ average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 11.0, up from 3.1 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Suns have scored an average of 109.6 points per game (2.6 below their season average) and allowed an average of 108.2 points per game (5.1 below their season average).