A nine-game home winning streak hangs in the balance for the 24th-ranked St. John’s Red Storm (14-2, 2-2 Big East) when they clash against the DePaul Blue Demons (9-5, 1-2 Big East) at Carnesecca Arena. The game can be seen on CBS Sports Network at 6 p.m. ET on Saturday, January 12, 2019.
DePaul Blue Demons vs. St. John’s Red Storm Betting Odds
In their last outing, the Red Storm were beaten by the Villanova Wildcats, 76-71, while the Blue Demons edged the Seton Hall Pirates, 75-74.
DePaul’s effective field goal percentage was their biggest strength over Seton Hall. The Blue Demons had a rate of 0.600 (above their season average of 0.528), while the Pirates posted a mark of 0.500. St. John’s, meanwhile, had a better turnover percentage (11.0 vs. 13.6). Shamorie Ponds had a solid outing for St. John’s with 23 points and six assists. Meanwhile, Max Strus had a good outing for DePaul, recording 21 points and five assists.
This series was highly contested last year, as the teams split their two games last season. In the most recent game, the Red Storm won 77-76. The Red Storm’s 12.4 turnover percentage was their largest advantage over the Blue Demons, who had a mark of 17.3. This is the first time these teams will clash this year.
Justin Simon has been solid recently for St. John’s, averaging 12 points,5.4 rebounds,3.2 assists,1.6 steals over the last five games.
Second-chance points could be rare for St. John’s in this battle. The Red Storm rank 338th in offensive rebounding percentage (22.0 percent), while DePaul ranks 13th in defensive rebounding percentage (77.0 percent).
DePaul Blue Demons vs. St. John’s Red Storm Pick
Prediction: SU Winner – St. John’s, ATS Winner – St. John’s, O/U – Over
- St. John’s ranks 62nd in three pointers attempted per game (25.5) while DePaul ranks 228th in three pointers allowed per game (26.1).
- The Red Storm average 16.4 assists per game, which ranks 36th in the NCAA. The Blue Demons rank 118th in assists allowed per game (13.1).
- St. John’s allows the 17th-fewest blocks per game (2.3) while DePaul ranks 22nd (2.4).
- The Blue Demons rank 43rd in rebounds allowed per game (32.1) while the Red Storm rank 188th (37.0).
- St. John’s ranks 14th in steals per game (9.3) while DePaul ranks 116th in steals allowed per game (6.7).
- The Blue Demons have been outscored by an average of 1.2 points in their last five games. For the season, DePaul has defeated opponents by an average of 6.6 points.
- During their last five games, the Red Storm have scored an average of 87.0 points per game (3.1 above their season average) and allowed an average of 79.4 points per game (7.3 above their season average).