Northwest Division foes will battle when the Portland Trail Blazers (6-6) clash with the Denver Nuggets (8-5) at Moda Center at the Rose Quarter. Portland is a 1.5-point favorite on the opening line, while the Over/Under (O/U) for the game opened at 209 points. Tip-off is scheduled for 10 p.m. ET on Monday, November 13, 2017.
Denver Nuggets vs. Portland Trail Blazers ATS Preview
The Nuggets dismantled the Orlando Magic in their last matchup, 125-107. With 12 points, 17 rebounds and nine assists, Nikola Jokic played well for Denver. Denver played a flawless game. They had a superb offensive rebounding percentage of 31.7 (above their season average of 25.2) and a free throw rate of 0.241 (above their season average of 0.187). For those same stats, Orlando was 17.8 and 0.161, respectively.
In the Trail Blazers’ last game, they were blown out by the Brooklyn Nets, 101-97. With 19 points, nine rebounds and six assists, Damian Lillard had a good outing for Portland. Brooklyn had a better free throw rate (0.121 vs. 0.095). Portland, meanwhile, had a better offensive rebounding percentage (24.0 vs. 22.0).
From an effective field goal percentage perspective, Portland figures to have a significant edge. The Trail Blazers defense ranks third in effective field goal percentage allowed (0.490), while the Denver offense is ranked 13th in effective field goal percentage (0.524). Additionally, the Nuggets are among the league’s elite on the offensive backboards, ranking fifth in offensive rebounding percentage (25.7 percent). The Trail Blazers, meanwhile, rank second at grabbing defensive rebounds with a defensive rebounding percentage of 82.2 percent.
Both of these teams have typically gone under the projected point total. Denver games have gone under 61.5 percent of the time, while 66.7 percent of games featuring Portland have gone under. The Nuggets come into this game with considerably better straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records. They are 8-5 SU and 5-8 ATS, while the Trail Blazers are 6-6 SU and 4-7-1 ATS.
Lillard has taken his game to another level over the last five games for Portland, averaging 29.8 points, 6.8 assists and 5.6 rebounds per game.
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams. The Trail Blazers won three out of four games played against each other last season. In the last game, Portland won 122-113. The Trail Blazers played a perfect game. They had a solid free throw rate of 0.264 and a phenomenally low turnover percentage of 7.9. For those same stats, the Nuggets were 0.170 and 10.5, respectively.
Denver Nuggets at Portland Trail Blazers ATS Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Trail Blazers, ATS Winner – Trail Blazers, O/U – Under
- The Trail Blazers rank eighth in points off turnovers allowed per game (15.6) while the Nuggets rank 27th (21.2).
- Portland ranks sixth in blocks per game (5.7) while Denver ranks 20th in blocks allowed per game (5.1).
- Denver ranks third in points in the paint per game (51.2) while Portland ranks 21st (41.0).
- Denver ranks second in second chance points per game (15.5) while Portland ranks 10th (13.0).
- Portland is 2-6 ATS at home, while Denver is 1-4 ATS on the road.
- In 5 road games, the Nuggets have 3 unders and 2 overs.
- The Trail Blazers have 6 unders and 2 overs in 8 home games.
- Denver is 3-0 when they allow below 100 points, while Portland is 4-2.
- The Trail Blazers and Nuggets are both 6-3 when they score above 100 points.
- The Nuggets rank 11th in steals per game (8.4) while the Trail Blazers rank 25th (6.8).
- Denver ranks second in fast break points per game (15.3) while Portland ranks 28th (4.7).
- The Nuggets rank fifth in assists per game (24.5) while the Trail Blazers rank 26th (18.5).
- The Trail Blazers rank first in rebounds per game (48.3) while the Nuggets rank 12th (45.4).
- Portland ranks fourth in three pointers allowed per game (25.7) while Denver ranks 23rd (31.3).
- Portland is 1-4 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Denver is 2-3 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs.
- The Trail Blazers have been outscored by an average of 1.4 points in their last five games. For the season, Portland has defeated opponents by an average of 4.8 points.
- During their last five games, the Nuggets have scored an average of 108.4 points per game (0.8 above their season average) and allowed an average of 105.2 points per game (0.0 below their season average).