The Portland Trail Blazers (16-15) can snap a five-game home losing streak when they meet the Denver Nuggets (16-15) at Moda Center at the Rose Quarter. Tip-off is set for 10 p.m. ET on Friday, December 22, 2017.
Denver Nuggets at Portland Trail Blazers ATS Preview
The Nuggets lost to the Minnesota Timberwolves in their last outing, 112-104. With 30 points on 10-for-17 shooting, Jamal Murray was the games leading scorer. Minnesota had a turnover percentage of 7.7 (better than their season average of 11.8). Denver, on the other hand, did an excellent job of converting from the free throw line (19-24; 79.2 percent).
In the Trail Blazers last game, they were defeated by the San Antonio Spurs, 93-91. With 13 points, six assists and five rebounds, Portland’s CJ McCollum played well. San Antonio held the Trail Blazers to an effective field goal percentage of 0.427 (below their season average of 0.502). Portland, meanwhile, had a turnover percentage of 7.3 (better than their season average of 13.2).
Expect this one to be a clinic on boxing out as two of the leagues top rebounding teams square off. The Nuggets rank first in offensive rebounding percentage (27.1 percent), while Portland ranks fourth in defensive rebounding percentage (80.3 percent).
Of Denver’s 31 games, 16 have finished under the O/U total, while 22 of Portland’s 31 games have finished under the projected point total. Both teams have decent straight up (SU) records (16-15 for Denver; 16-15 for Portland), but the Trail Blazers hold a slight advantage against the spread (ATS). Portland is 14-14-3 ATS, while the Nuggets are 13-17-1.
These teams have already met once this season. The two teams combined to put up 181 points in that game, which was well under the projected point total of 212. The Trail Blazers won 99-82, covering as 2-point favorites. The Trail Blazers dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had a free throw rate of 0.219 and a great effective field goal percentage of 0.568. The Nuggets put up marks of 0.155 and 0.411, respectively, for those same stats. Despite the loss, Wilson Chandler had a standout performance with 14 points, seven rebounds and six assists.
Denver Nuggets vs. Portland Trail Blazers Betting Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Nuggets, ATS Winner – Nuggets, O/U – Under
- The Trail Blazers rank 11th in points off turnovers allowed per game (16.0) while the Nuggets rank 29th (20.1).
- Denver ranks first in second chance points per game (15.3) while Portland ranks 13th (12.3).
- Denver ranks 13th in steals per game (7.9) while Portland ranks 29th (6.6).
- Denver ranks fifth in rebounds allowed per game (41.2) while Portland ranks seventh (41.7).
- Portland is 4-10-2 ATS at home, while Denver is 5-11-1 ATS on the road.
- Of the Nuggets 17 road games, they have 9 unders and 8 overs.
- The Trail Blazers have 12 unders and 4 overs in 16 home games.
- Portland is 12-4 when they hold opponents under 100 points, while Denver is 7-2.
- In games where they score above 100 points, the Trail Blazers are 12-7 and the Nuggets are 14-9.
- The Trail Blazers rank first in three pointers allowed per game (24.9) while the Nuggets rank 17th (29.0).
- Denver ranks fourth in fast break points per game (14.9) while Portland ranks last (5.5).
- The Nuggets rank third in points in the paint per game (48.5) while the Trail Blazers rank 26th (40.6).
- The Trail Blazers average 5.3 blocks per game, which ranks sixth in the NBA. The Nuggets rank 12th in blocks allowed per game (4.7).
- Denver ranks seventh in assists per game (23.5) while Portland ranks 29th (18.2).
- Portland is 4-1 ATS with 4 unders and 1 over in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Denver is 3-1-1 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders.
- The Trail Blazers’ average margin of victory in their last five games has been 2.6, up from 1.9 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Nuggets have scored an average of 107.2 points per game (0.1 below their season average) and allowed an average of 105.2 points per game (2.1 below their season average).