The Denver Nuggets (40-18) will travel to the Staples Center to square off against the Los Angeles Clippers (39-19). The Nuggets opened as 6-point underdogs. The game’s Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 218.5 points and it will air on ESPN at 10:30 p.m. ET on Friday, February 28, 2020.
Denver Nuggets vs. Los Angeles Clippers Betting Odds
Both teams covered as favorites in their last outing. The Clippers (7.5-point favorites) defeated the Phoenix Suns 102-92, while the Nuggets (13.5-point favorites) beat the Detroit Pistons 115-98. The Los Angeles game finished 39 points under the projected point total of 233, while the Denver game finished 0.5 points over the projected point total of 212.5.
Denver played a nearly flawless game. They had an extraordinary effective field goal percentage of 0.638 (above their season average of 0.528) and a free throw rate of 0.237 (above their season average of 0.181). For those same stats, Detroit recorded marks of 0.500 and 0.210, respectively. Meanwhile, Los Angeles’ 0.524 effective field goal percentage was their biggest advantage over Phoenix, who had a rate of 0.443. The Clippers’ mark was below their season average of 0.528, while the Suns’ was below their season average of 0.525. Kawhi Leonard had a good outing for Los Angeles, recording 24 points, 14 rebounds and five assists. Jerami Grant, meanwhile played a pivotal role for Denver with 29 points.
In their first matchup this year, Nikola Jokic led the Nuggets to a 114-104 victory. He registered a double-double with 20 points and 15 rebounds. The two teams combined to put up 218 points, which was just under the projected point total of 220, and Denver covered as a 1-point favorite. One of Denver’s largest advantages was getting to the charity stripe. They had 37 free throw attempts, while Los Angeles had 26.
Of the Nuggets’ 58 games, 31 have finished under the total. Denver has a respectable 40-18 straight up (SU) record, but they are just 26-26-6 against the spread (ATS).
Of the Clippers’ 58 games, 33 have finished under the projected point total. Moreover, Los Angeles owns records of 39-19 SU and 30-27-1 ATS.
Opposite styles will be on display in this showdown. Los Angeles prefers a fast-paced style of play (eighth in possessions per game), while Denver likes to grind-it-out (28th in possessions per game).
Denver Nuggets vs. Los Angeles Clippers ATS Pick
Free NBA Tip: SU Winner – Clippers, ATS Winner – Nuggets, O/U – Under
- Los Angeles ranks third in rebounds per game (48.1) while Denver ranks 20th (44.6).
- The Clippers rank fifth in points allowed in the paint per game (44.9) while the Nuggets rank 16th (49.0).
- Denver averages 8.1 steals per game, which ranks 10th in the league. Los Angeles ranks 19th in steals allowed per game (8.0).
- The Nuggets rank 11th in three pointers allowed per game (33.1) while the Clippers rank 27th (35.2).
- The Clippers average 14.3 second chance points per game, which ranks fourth in the league. The Nuggets rank seventh in second chance points allowed per game (12.2).
- Denver ranks fourth in assists per game (26.5) while Los Angeles ranks 17th (23.9).
- Los Angeles is 16-0 when they hold opponents below 100 points, while Denver is 14-1.
- When scoring above 100 points, the Nuggets are 37-13 and the Clippers are 37-14.
- Los Angeles is 16-12-1 ATS at home, while Denver is 13-12-3 ATS on the road.
- The total has gone under in 16 of the Clippers’ 29 home games, while 15 of the Nuggets’ 28 road games have gone under.
- In their last five games, Denver and Los Angeles are both 2-3 ATS.
- The Nuggets have 4 overs and 1 under over their last five games, while the Clippers have 4 unders and 1 over
- The Nuggets’ average margin of victory in their last five games has been 4.0, up from 3.9 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Clippers have scored an average of 113.0 points per game (2.6 below their season average) and allowed an average of 110.4 points per game (0.6 above their season average).