The Denver Nuggets (21-9) will travel to the Staples Center to take on the Los Angeles Clippers (18-13). The Clippers opened as 1.5-point favorites. The game’s Over/Under (O/U) opened at 218.5 points and it will air on Altitude Sports & Entertainmnt at 5 p.m. ET on Saturday, December 22, 2018.
Denver Nuggets vs. Los Angeles Clippers ATS Odds
Both teams covered as favorites in their last matchup. The Clippers (3-point favorites) defeated the Dallas Mavericks 125-121, while the Nuggets (5-point favorites) beat the Dallas Mavericks 126-118. Both games finished over their projected point totals. The Los Angeles game went 23 points over the projected point total of 223, while the Denver game went 35.5 points over the projected point total of 208.5.
The Nuggets held the Mavericks to an offensive rebounding percentage of 14.6 (below their season average of 24.3) and had an effective field goal percentage of 0.622 (above their season average of 0.519). The Clippers, meanwhile, had an absurd effective field goal percentage of 0.602 (above their season average of 0.521) and had a free throw rate of 0.301 (above their season average of 0.269). Los Angeles rallied around Danilo Gallinari, who recorded 32 points and six rebounds. Meanwhile, Nikola Jokic had a good outing for Denver, finishing with 32 points and 16 rebounds.
In their first matchup this season, Jokic led the Nuggets to a 107-98 win. He was the game’s top overall scorer with 21 points. The two teams combined to put up 205 points, which was well under the projected point total of 222.5, and Denver covered as a 2-point favorite. One of Denver’s biggest advantages was getting to the charity stripe. They made 42 trips to the line, while Los Angeles went just 24 times.
Of the Nuggets’ 30 games, 18 have finished under the O/U total. Denver comes into the contest with records of 21-9 straight up (SU) and 19-11 against the spread (ATS).
Contrary to Denver, Clippers games tend to finish over the O/U total (61.3 percent). Further, Los Angeles is 18-13 SU and 17-14 ATS.
Jokic and Monte Morris have played well over the last five games for Denver. Jokic has averaged 23 points,11.8 rebounds,6.4 assists,2.0 steals per game, while Morris has put up 14 points,4.8 assists,2.0 steals a game during that span.
It will be a battle of conflicting styles as the up-and-down Clippers (ranked ninth in the NBA in possessions per game) will look to push the more half-court-oriented Nuggets (24th in possessions per game). Furthermore, the Nuggets rank second in offensive rebounding percentage (27.3 percent), while the Clippers rank 25th in defensive rebounding percentage (75.2 percent).
Denver Nuggets vs. Los Angeles Clippers Betting Pick
NBA Pick: SU Winner – Nuggets, ATS Winner – Nuggets, O/U – Under
- The Nuggets average 4.9 blocks per game, which ranks 19 in the NBA. The Clippers rank 26 in blocks allowed per game (5.967741935483871).
- Denver averages 52.7 points in the paint per game, which ranks fifth in the NBA. Los Angeles ranks 27th in points allowed in the paint per game (52.0).
- The Nuggets rank third in assists per game (26.9) while the Clippers rank 23rd (22.5).
- Denver ranks ninth in steals per game (8.5) while Los Angeles ranks 28th (5.9).
- Denver ranks 1 in rebounds allowed per game (41.86666666666667) while Los Angeles ranks 17 (45.74193548387097).
- The Nuggets rank fourth in second chance points per game (15.2) while the Clippers rank 24th in second chance points allowed per game (14.7).
- The Clippers rank 4 in three pointers allowed per game (28.64516129032258) while the Nuggets rank 20 (32.233333333333334).
- Denver ranks 22 in points off turnovers per game (15.8) while Los Angeles ranks 27 (14.483870967741936).
- Denver ranks seventh in fast break points allowed per game (11.4) while Los Angeles ranks 27th (15.5).
- When holding opponents below 100 points, Los Angeles is 3-1 and Denver is 12-1.
- The Clippers are 18-8 when they reach the century mark, while the Nuggets are 20-5.
- Los Angeles is 9-5 ATS at home, while Denver is 7-7 ATS on the road.
- The Nuggets have 9 unders and 5 overs in 14 road games.
- Of the Clippers’ 14 home games, they have 9 overs, 4 unders and 1 push.
- The Nuggets are 4-1 ATS over their last five games, while the Clippers are 2-3.
- In their last five games, Denver has 3 unders and 2 overs, while Los Angeles has 3 overs and 2 unders.
- During their last five games, the Nuggets have scored an average of 106.6 points per game (3.4 below their season average) and allowed an average of 101.4 points per game (2.0 below their season average).
- The Clippers have been outscored by an average of 13.6 points in their last five games. For the season, Los Angeles has defeated opponents by an average of 0.4 points.