The Delaware State Hornets (3-10) travel to Echols Hall to square off with the Norfolk State Spartans (5-10). The Hornets look to snap a six-game road losing streak. The game is scheduled to start at 6:30 p.m. ET on Saturday, January 5, 2019.
Delaware State Hornets vs. Norfolk State Spartans Betting Odds
Both teams were blown out in their last game. The Spartans fell to the 19th-ranked Michigan Wolverines, 63-44, while the Hornets were defeated by the East Carolina Pirates, 81-56.
Delaware State had a better effective field goal percentage (0.412 vs. 0.492) while Norfolk State had a better turnover percentage (16.9 vs. 14.2). Nic Thomas played well for Norfolk State with nine points and five rebounds. Meanwhile, Saleik Edwards had a good outing for Delaware State, finishing with 22 points.
The Spartans won the lone contest between these two teams last season, 93-58. Making free throws was one of Norfolk State’s biggest strengths. They were 17-19 (89.5 percent), while the Hornets were just 3-8 (37.5 percent). This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams.
The physical Norfolk State offense might be getting to the foul line a lot in this showdown. The Spartans currently rank 88th in the nation with a free throw attempt (FTA) rate of 0.266, while Delaware State is among the NCAA’s most foul-prone squads (giving up a 292nd-ranked FTA rate of 0.266). Moreover, the Hornets rank 287th in turnover percentage (21.0 percent), while the Spartans rank 53rd in opponents’ turnover percentage (22.3 percent).
Delaware State Hornets at Norfolk State Spartans Odds Pick
Basketball Pick: SU Winner – Norfolk State, O/U – Over
- Norfolk State ranks 18th in steals allowed per game (4.9) while Delaware State ranks 164th (7.9).
- The Hornets average 36.5 rebounds per game, which ranks 128th in the country. The Spartans rank 206th in rebounds allowed per game (37.8).
- Norfolk State ranks 153rd in assists allowed per game (13.7) while Delaware State ranks 229th (17.0).
- The Hornets rank 46th in three pointers attempted per game (26.5) while the Spartans rank 192nd (20.8).
- Norfolk State ranks 25th in blocks per game (4.9) while Delaware State ranks 166th (1.9).
- During their last five games, the Hornets have scored an average of 63.6 points per game (0.6 below their season average) and allowed an average of 79.4 points per game (2.1 below their season average).
- The Spartans’ average margin of victory in their last five games has been 9.4, up from 0.3 for the season.