The New York Knicks (24-43), who are currently on a seven-game losing streak, will try to get back in the win column when they welcome the Dallas Mavericks (21-46) to Madison Square Garden. Action begins at 7:30 p.m. ET on Tuesday, March 13, 2018, and it can be seen on MSG Network.
Dallas Mavericks vs. New York Knicks Betting Preview
In the Mavericks’ last outing, they were blown out by the Houston Rockets, 105-82. Dwight Powell put together a good performance for Dallas, leading the team in scoring with 20 points on 9-for-11 shooting. Houston held the Mavericks to an effective field goal percentage of 0.378 (below their season average of 0.516). Dallas, meanwhile, had an offensive rebounding percentage of 30.4 (above their season average of 17.7).
The Knicks are trying to rebound after their 132-106 loss to the Toronto Raptors in their last outing. Tim Hardaway Jr. was the game’s high scorer with 25 points on 7-for-17 shooting. Toronto had an offensive rebounding percentage of 32.6 (above their season average of 22.8). New York, meanwhile, had a better turnover percentage (9.2 vs. 9.6).
Dallas should be expected to protect the ball well in this contest. Dallas ranks third in the NBA at avoiding errors (turnover percentage of 12.2 percent), while New York forces the sixth-fewest turnovers (13.3 percent).
Of Dallas’ 67 games, 36 have finished under the O/U total, while 35 of New York’s 67 games have finished over the projected point total. The Knicks hold the substantial advantage straight up (SU) (24-43 vs. 21-46), but the Mavericks have the superior against the spread (ATS) record (34-33 vs. 30-37).
Both teams have had a player heat up over their last five games. For the Mavericks, it’s been Powell, who has averaged 12.2 points, 8.8 rebounds and 1.4 steals, while the Knicks have received great contributions from Hardaway Jr. (20.0 points).
These teams have already met once this season. In that game, the two teams combined to put up 196 points, which was under the projected point total of 203. The Knicks won 100-96, covering as 5-point underdogs. The Knicks’ offensive rebounding percentage was their biggest advantage over the Mavericks. New York had a rate of 24.4, while Dallas posted a mark of 15.5. In the victory, Kristaps Porzingis led all scorers with 29 points.
Dallas Mavericks vs. New York Knicks Odds Prediction
Free Pick: SU Winner – Mavericks, ATS Winner – Mavericks, O/U – Under
- The Knicks rank seventh in points in the paint per game (46.7) while the Mavericks rank last (38.4).
- New York ranks 14th in fast break points allowed per game (11.6) while Dallas ranks 27th (14.3).
- Dallas ranks second in points off turnovers allowed per game (14.2) while New York ranks 22nd (17.4).
- Dallas ranks 16th in assists per game (22.6) while New York ranks 20th in assists allowed per game (23.9).
- On the road, Dallas is 17-14 ATS with 17 unders and 14 overs.
- At home, New York is 16-15 ATS with 16 overs and 15 unders.
- In games where they hold opponents under 100 points, New York is 11-3 and Dallas is 14-11.
- When scoring over 100 points, the Knicks are 23-23 and the Mavericks are 15-22.
- The Knicks rank 11th in rebounds allowed per game (42.5) while the Mavericks rank 27th (45.4).
- Dallas ranks fifth in three pointers attempted per game (32.3) while New York ranks last (22.3).
- The Knicks rank fifth in second chance points per game (13.7) while the Mavericks rank 29th (10.3).
- The Mavericks rank 23rd in steals per game (7.1) while the Knicks rank 28th (6.8).
- New York ranks fifth in blocks per game (5.4) while Dallas ranks 28th (3.7).
- New York is 1-4 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Dallas is 2-3 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs.
- The Knicks’ average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 16.8, up from 3.6 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Mavericks have scored an average of 104.6 points per game (2.3 above their season average) and allowed an average of 105.2 points per game (0.4 above their season average).