The Charlotte Hornets (15-23) will be at home in Spectrum Center when they take on the Dallas Mavericks (14-28). Charlotte is a 6-point favorite on the opening line, while the games Over/Under (O/U) opened at 208 points. Tip-off is scheduled for 7 p.m. ET on Wednesday, January 10, 2018, and it can be seen on Fox Sports Carolina.
Dallas Mavericks vs. Charlotte Hornets Odds Preview
The Mavericks beat the Orlando Magic in their last game, 114-99. Dennis Smith Jr. was the games leading scorer with 20 points on 8-for-19 shooting. Dallas dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had a ridiculously low turnover percentage of 4.1 (better than their season average of 11.7) and a free throw rate of 0.229 (above their season average of 0.166). Orlando was 12.8 and 0.203, respectively, for those same stats.
In the Hornets last game, they defeated the Los Angeles Lakers, 108-94. Charlotte received a boost from Kemba Walker, who led the team in scoring with 19 points on 8-for-17 shooting. Charlotte dominated every stat category in the game. They had a superb offensive rebounding percentage of 32.0 (above their season average of 23.0) and a free throw rate of 0.121 (below their season average of 0.233). For those same stats, Los Angeles was 23.1 and 0.096, respectively.
The aggressive Charlotte offense looks poised to dominate from the charity stripe. The Hornets currently rank third in the league with a free throw attempt (FTA) rate of 0.230, while Dallas ranks 26th in FTA rate allowed (0.215). Ball protection should be an advantage for the Mavericks. They rank 1st at avoiding errors (turnover percentage of 12.5 percent), while the Hornets force the fourth-fewest turnovers in the league (opponents turnover percentage of 13.4 percent).
Of Dallas 41 games with betting action, 21 have finished under the projected point total, while 21 of Charlotte’s 38 games have finished under the projected point total. The Hornets hold the sizable advantage straight up (SU) (15-23 vs. 14-28), but the Mavericks have been better against the spread (ATS) (20-21 vs. 15-19-4).
Smith Jr. has taken his game to another level over the last five games for Dallas, averaging 16.0 points, 7.2 assists and 1.6 steals per game.
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams, after the Hornets won both games last season. In the most recent game, Charlotte won 109-101. The Hornets dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had a ridiculous free throw rate of 0.329 and an offensive rebounding percentage of 25.7. The Mavericks were 0.157 and 17.0, respectively, for those same stats.
Dallas Mavericks vs. Charlotte Hornets Odds Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Mavericks, ATS Winner – Mavericks, O/U – Under
- The Mavericks rank fifth in three pointers attempted per game (31.8) while the Hornets rank 23rd (25.5).
- Charlotte ranks 18th in points off turnovers per game (16.1) while Dallas ranks 29th (13.3).
- Charlotte ranks 15th in points in the paint per game (43.0) while Dallas ranks 29th (39.1).
- Charlotte ranks 20th in blocks per game (4.6) while Dallas ranks 27th (3.7).
- On the road, Dallas is 10-9 ATS with 10 unders and 9 overs.
- Charlotte is 9-10-1 ATS at home with 12 unders and 8 overs.
- In games where they allow below 100 points, Charlotte is 7-2 and Dallas is 11-8.
- The Hornets are 15-9 when they score more than 100 points, while the Mavericks are 9-12.
- The Mavericks rank 13th in assists per game (22.7) while the Hornets rank 25th (20.9).
- Charlotte ranks second in rebounds per game (46.6) while Dallas ranks 26th (40.4).
- The Hornets rank eighth in fast break points allowed per game (9.9) while the Mavericks rank last (14.6).
- The Hornets rank second in steals allowed per game (6.6) while the Mavericks rank 11th (7.5).
- Charlotte ranks ninth in second chance points per game (13.5) while Dallas ranks 29th (9.5).
- Charlotte is 3-2 ATS with 4 unders and 1 over in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Dallas is 3-2 ATS with 4 overs and 1 under.
- The Hornets have outscored opponents by an average of 5.2 points in their last five games. For the season, Charlotte has been defeated by an average of 0.9 points.
- During their last five games, the Mavericks have scored an average of 114.4 points per game (12.1 above their season average) and allowed an average of 112.8 points per game (8.5 above their season average).