The CSUN Matadors (7-13, 2-2 BigWst) will be at the Thunderdome to go head-to-head with the UC Santa Barbara Gauchos (12-6, 1-2 BigWst) in a BigWst matchup. The game is scheduled to start at 10 p.m. ET on Wednesday, January 22, 2020.
CSUN Matadors at UC Santa Barbara Gauchos Betting Odds
Both teams lost in their last contest. The Gauchos fell to the Hawaii Rainbow Warriors, 70-63, while the Matadors were defeated by the UC Davis Aggies, 66-62.
CSUN held UC Davis to an offensive rebounding percentage of 20.5 (below the 31.7 mark opponents have averaged against CSUN this season) while UC Santa Barbara did a terrific job of making free throws (19-22; 86.4 percent). UC Santa Barbara was lifted by Max Heidegger, who put up 21 points. Lamine Diane, meanwhile played a key role for CSUN with 19 points and 11 rebounds.
The Gauchos dominated this series last year, winning all three games. In the most recent game, UC Santa Barbara won 71-68. One of UC Santa Barbara’s largest advantages was their ability to convert at the free throw line. They were 18-22 (81.8 percent), while the Matadors were 12-15 (80.0 percent). This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams.
The high-powered offense of UC Santa Barbara (22nd in the country with an offensive efficiency of 111.4) will face off against the porous defense of CSUN (340th in the NCAA with a defensive efficiency of 110.5). The Gauchos figure to have the advantage on that side of the ball. Additionally, put-back points could be few and far between for the Matadors. They rank 266th in the nation in offensive rebounding percentage at 25.5 percent, while the Gauchos are 49th-best on the defensive glass (defensive rebounding percentage of 75.5 percent).
CSUN Matadors at UC Santa Barbara Gauchos Odds Pick
Prediction: SU Winner – UC Santa Barbara, ATS Winner – UC Santa Barbara, O/U – Over
- UC Santa Barbara ranks sixth in rebounds allowed per game (29.3) while CSUN ranks 233rd (37.6).
- The Gauchos rank 15th in blocks allowed per game (2.3) while the Matadors rank 123rd (3.8).
- UC Santa Barbara is 15th in the country with 4.8 steals allowed per game while CSUN is 33rd with 5.3 steals allowed per game.
- The Gauchos rank 68th in three pointers allowed per game (19.8) while the Matadors rank 241st (25.4).
- UC Santa Barbara ranks 83rd in assists allowed per game (11.7) while CSUN ranks 233rd (15.7).
- The Matadors have outscored opponents by an average of 8.4 points in their last five games. For the season, CSUN has lost by an average of 4.9 points.
- During their last five games, the Gauchos have scored an average of 70.0 points per game (1.9 below their season average) and allowed an average of 62.6 points per game (3.2 below their season average).