Ivy foes will clash when the Penn Quakers (10-5, 1-0 Ivy) clash with the Cornell Big Red (6-7) at Palestra. The games Over/Under (O/U) opened at 152.5 points with Penn set as an 11.5-point favorite. Action starts at 8 p.m. ET on Friday, January 12, 2018.
Cornell Big Red vs. Penn Quakers Free Preview
The Big Red won big over the Central Pennsylvania College Knights in their last outing, 93-69. Matt Morgan was the top scorer from either team with 21 points on 8-for-16 shooting. The Big Red, who came into the game averaging an effective field goal percentage of 0.520, had a ridiculous mark of 0.619 and had a free throw rate of 0.339 (above their season average of 0.232).
In the Quakers last game, they topped the Princeton Tigers, 76-70. With 21 points on 8-for-11 shooting, Ryan Betley was the top scorer from either team. Penn played a flawless game. They had an offensive rebounding percentage of 24.1 (below their season average of 25.6) and a turnover percentage of 12.4 (better than their season average of 14.5). For those same stats, Princeton recorded marks of 19.4 and 13.9, respectively.
Penn could put on a ball-control clinic in this showdown. Penn ranks 27th in the NCAA at avoiding errors (turnover percentage of 16.3 percent), while Cornell forces the ninth-fewest turnovers (14.7 percent). Moreover, put-back points could be tough to come by for the Big Red. They rank 319th in the nation in offensive rebounding percentage at 25.3 percent, while the Quakers are eighth-best on the defensive glass (defensive rebounding percentage of 77.9 percent).
Morgan has been superb over the last five games for Cornell, averaging 28.6 points and 3.4 assists per game.
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams. The Quakers won both contests played against each other last season. In the most recent game, Penn won 69-66. Penn had a better effective field goal percentage (0.565 vs. 0.482). Cornell, meanwhile, had a much better offensive rebounding percentage (39.5 vs. 24.1).
Cornell Big Red at Penn Quakers Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Penn, ATS Winner – Cornell, O/U – Over
- The Quakers rank 40th in three pointers attempted per game (26.0) while the Big Red rank 119th in three pointers allowed per game (23.6).
- Penn ranks 45th in blocks allowed per game (2.8) while Cornell ranks 90th (3.7).
- Penn ranks 52nd in rebounds per game (38.8) while Cornell ranks 192nd in rebounds allowed per game (39.2).
- The Quakers rank 13th in steals allowed per game (4.7) while the Big Red rank 152nd (7.1).
- Penn ranks 14th in assists allowed per game (10.1) while Cornell ranks 151st (13.7).
- The Quakers average margin of victory in their last five games has been 11.8, up from 8.3 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Big Red have scored an average of 86.4 points per game (9.2 above their season average) and allowed an average of 84.8 points per game (4.1 above their season average).