The Syracuse Orange and Cornell Big Red will face off at Carrier Dome to open the new season. The game’s Over/Under (O/U) opened at 143.5 points with Syracuse set as a 16.5-point favorite. Tip-off is scheduled for 7 p.m. ET on Friday, November 10, 2017, and it can be seen on ESPN 3.
Cornell Big Red vs. Syracuse Orange Odds Preview
Cornell failed to reach the tournament following an 8-21 regular season campaign last season. Syracuse also was unable reach the tournament following an 18-14 regular season campaign.
The prolific offense of Syracuse will go head-to-head against the porous defense of Cornell. In the 2016-17 season, the Orange ranked 47th in offensive efficiency, while the Big Red were 281st in defensive efficiency. The Orange figure to have the advantage on that end of the court. Moreover, the Big Red ranked 311th in free throw attempt (FTA) rate (0.205), while the Orange ranked 28th in opponents’ FTA rate (0.192).
The Big Red were 8-21 straight up (SU) and 10-11-2 against the spread (ATS) last season. Of Cornell’s 23 games with betting action last year, 12 finished over the O/U total.
Meanwhile, the Orange were 18-14 SU and 14-15 ATS last season. Games involving Syracuse had a tendency to finish over the projected point total (69.0 percent).
The Orange won the only game against the Big Red last season, 80-56. The Orange played a perfect game. They had a free throw rate of 0.203 and a great offensive rebounding percentage of 31.6. The Big Red were 0.035 and 17.1, respectively, for those same stats.
Cornell Big Red vs. Syracuse Orange Betting Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Syracuse, ATS Winner – Cornell, O/U – Over
Betting Notes (2016-Present):
- The Orange rank 35th in blocks per game (4.7) while the Big Red rank 210th (2.7).
- Syracuse ranks 207th in rebounds per game (34.8) while Cornell ranks 251st (33.6).
- Cornell averages 24.8 three pointers per game, which ranks 36th in the NCAA. Syracuse ranks 301st in three pointers allowed per game (25.4).
- The Orange average 8.1 steals per game, which ranks 17th in the NCAA. The Big Red rank 244th in steals allowed per game (7.6).
- Cornell ranks 101st in assists per game (14.5) while Syracuse ranks 303rd in assists allowed per game (17.1).