The Prudential Center is playing host to an enticing tilt as the Columbus Blue Jackets take on the New Jersey Devils. This divisional matchup gets going at 0:30 p.m. ET on Sunday, December 23, and it can be seen live on Fox Sports Ohio.
Columbus Blue Jackets at New Jersey Devils Odds
Moneyline and Over/Under (O/U) odds have not yet been posted for this matchup.
Columbus is 20-15 straight up (SU) and has lost 2.5 units for moneyline bettors thus far. 19 of its outings have gone under the total, while 12 have gone over and just three have pushed. This 2018-19 Blue Jackets team is 10-6 SU on the road.
Columbus has converted on just 14.3 percent of its power play opportunities this year, a figure that’s ranked 28th in the NHL. Its penalty kill is ranked 16th in the league, and it has successfully killed off 80.0 percent of all penalties.
Columbus, as a collective unit, has been sent to the penalty box just 3.3 times per game overall in the 2018-19 season, 3.2 per game over its last five games total, and 3.6 per game over its last five on the road. The team has had to kill penalties just 7.6 minutes per game over their last 10 outings.
Boasting a .908 save percentage and 26.3 saves per game, Sergei Bobrovsky (15-11-1) has been the primary option in goal for Columbus this season. Bobrovsky played yesterday, however, so head coach John Tortorella might decide to rest him and instead turn to Joonas Korpisalo (5-7-2 record, .885 save percentage, 3.54 goals against average).
The visiting Blue Jackets have relied heavily on Cam Atkinson and Artemi Panarin this season. Atkinson (37 points) is up to 22 goals and 15 assists, and has recorded two or more points in nine different games. Panarin has 10 goals and 27 assists to his creditand has logged at least one point in 18 games.
On the other bench, New Jersey is 12-22 straight up (SU) and has lost 11.6 units for moneyline bettors thus far. Through 34 regular season matches, 21 of its games have gone over the total, while 11 have gone under and just two have pushed. This season, the team is 9-7 SU at home.
New Jersey has converted on 18.2 percent of its power play opportunities this season, a figure that’s right around league average. On the other hand, its penalty kill is ranked ninth overall, and it’s successfully killed off 82.7 percent of all penalties.
The Devils have been penalized 3.9 times per game this season, and 3.2 per game over their past ten outings. The team has had to stave off opponent power plays just 7.5 minutes per game over their last 10 outings.
Keith Kinkaid has stopped 26.3 shots per game as the primary choice in the crease for New Jersey. Kinkaid has 12 wins, 16 losses, and six overtime losses to his name and has maintained a fairly-weak .903 save percentage and 2.96 goals against average this year.
The Devils offense will be led by Taylor Hall (11 goals, 26 assists).
Columbus Blue Jackets vs. New Jersey Devils Betting Predictions
Free Pick: SU Winner – Devils, O/U – Under
- For both of these teams, the game went over the total in three of their past five outings.
- Columbus has attempted 32.5 shots per game overall this season (ranked 11th in the NHL), and 31.9 in its last 10 outings.
- The Blue Jackets are 11-8 when they serve fewer penalty minutes than their opponent and 15-11 in games where they’re in the penalty box for fewer than 10 minutes, total.
- New Jersey is ranked 11th in the league this season with 8.2 takeaways per game. That figure’s trended lower, however, as the team has averaged 6.2 takeaways over its last 10 games and 5.0 takeaways over its last five.
- Columbus has allowed 3.1 goals per game overall this year, but has driven that figure down to 1.3 per match up over the team’s three-game winning streak.
- Columbus skaters have managed 5.6 takeaways per game over its last five road games, a drop-off from its season average of 6.8 takeaways per game (ranked 23rd overall).
- Columbus could have an advantage if this one comes down to the wire. The team’s 9-5 in games decided by one goal, while New Jersey is only 3-10 in such games.