The Coastal Carolina Chanticleers (7-6, 1-0 SBC) will be at the Mitchell Center to square off against the South Alabama Jaguars (8-6, 1-0 SBC) in a SBC matchup. Action starts at 4 p.m. ET on Saturday, January 5, 2019.
Coastal Carolina Chanticleers at South Alabama Jaguars Betting Odds
In their last matchup, the Jaguars lost big to the 11th-ranked Auburn Tigers, 101-58, while the Chanticleers won big over the Ferrum Panthers, 91-47.
Coastal Carolina played a flawless game. They had a free throw rate of 0.311 and an offensive rebounding percentage of 34.5. Ferrum was 0.058 and 14.7, respectively, for those same stats. South Alabama, on the other hand, did a terrific job of converting from the charity stripe (17-22; 77.3 percent). Rodrick Sikes played well for South Alabama with 25 points. Meanwhile, Zac Cuthbertson had a good game for Coastal Carolina, putting up 18 points and seven rebounds.
This was a highly competitive series last year. Each won one of the two games played against each other last season. The Chanticleers won the last contest 72-70. One of Coastal Carolina’s biggest advantages was getting to the charity stripe. They made 36 trips to the line, while South Alabama went 23 times. This will be the first meeting of the year between these two teams.
Cuthbertson has taken his game to another level recently for Coastal Carolina, averaging 0 points over the last five games.
The aggressive Coastal Carolina offense might be living from the free throw line in this showdown. The Chanticleers rank 29th in the NCAA with a free throw attempt (FTA) rate of 0.300, while South Alabama ranks 262nd in FTA rate allowed (0.255).
Coastal Carolina Chanticleers at South Alabama Jaguars Free Pick
Pick: SU Winner – South Alabama, ATS Winner – Coastal Carolina, O/U – Under
- South Alabama ranks 11th in three pointers allowed per game (17.9) while Coastal Carolina ranks 243rd (27.0).
- The Jaguars average 15.8 assists per game, which ranks 51st in the nation. The Chanticleers rank 81st in assists allowed per game (12.2).
- South Alabama averages 6.4 steals per game, which ranks 113th in the nation. Coastal Carolina ranks 137th in steals allowed per game (7.1).
- The Chanticleers rank 40th in rebounds allowed per game (31.7) while the Jaguars rank 152nd (35.5).
- South Alabama ranks 34th in blocks per game (4.7) while Coastal Carolina ranks 130th (2.8).
- The Chanticleers’ average margin of victory in their last five games has been 14.6, up from 8.1 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Jaguars have scored an average of 72.8 points per game (0.5 below their season average) and allowed an average of 72.0 points per game (2.6 above their season average).