The Akron Zips and Cleveland State Vikings will go head-to-head at James A. Rhodes Arena to open the new season. Akron opened as a 7.5-point favorite, while the Over/Under (O/U) for the game has been set at 144 points. Tip-off is scheduled for 7 p.m. ET on Saturday, November 11, 2017.
Cleveland State Vikings at Akron Zips Odds Preview
Last season, Cleveland State did not make the tournament following a 9-22 regular season. Akron also did not reach the tournament following a 26-8 regular season campaign.
The upper-echelon offense of Akron will battle against the porous defense of Cleveland State. Last season, the Zips offense ranked 18th in effective field goal percentage (0.556), while the Cleveland State defense ranked 256th in effective field goal percentage allowed (0.520). The Zips figure to have the advantage on that side of the ball.
Last season, the Vikings had records of 9-22 straight up (SU) and 9-19-1 against the spread (ATS). Vegas was fairly accurate when setting the O/U total of Cleveland State games, with 14 overs compared to 14 unders.
The Zips were 26-8 SU last season, but had a hard time covering the spread (13-19 ATS). Akron games had a slight tendency to go under the O/U total (53.1 percent).
Cleveland State Vikings at Akron Zips Odds Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Akron, ATS Winner – Akron, O/U – Under
Betting Notes (2016-Present):
- The Zips rank ninth in three pointers attempted per game (27.3) while the Vikings rank 94th (22.9).
- Cleveland State ranks 33rd in steals allowed per game (5.1) while Akron ranks 98th (5.8).
- Akron ranks 41st in assists allowed per game (11.4) while Cleveland State ranks 263rd (15.0).
- The Zips rank 60th in rebounds allowed per game (33.0) while the Vikings rank 251st (37.2).
- Akron ranks fifth in blocks allowed per game (2.0) while Cleveland State ranks 136th (3.4).