The Cleveland Cavaliers (14-40) will travel to Capital One Arena to clash against the Washington Wizards (20-33). The game begins at 7 p.m. ET on Friday, February 21, 2020.
Cleveland Cavaliers at Washington Wizards Betting Odds
Both teams covered in their last matchup. The Wizards (3-point underdogs) defeated the New York Knicks 114-96, while the Cavaliers (3-point underdog) beat the Atlanta Hawks 127-105. The Washington game went 18 points under the projected point total of 228, while the Cleveland game finished 2.5 points under the projected point total of 234.5.
Cleveland played a nearly perfect game. They had an absurd offensive rebounding percentage of 37.0 (above their season average of 24.3) and an effective field goal percentage of 0.564 (above their season average of 0.516). For those same stats, Atlanta was 19.1 and 0.506, respectively. The Wizards, meanwhile, forced 20 turnovers and held the Knicks to an effective field goal percentage of 0.426 (below their season average of 0.496). Bradley Beal led the way for Washington, recording 30 points. Cleveland, meanwhile, rallied around Tristan Thompson, who put up 27 points and 11 rebounds.
The Wizards won the most recent matchup by 12 points to even the season series at one. Beal was the game’s top overall scorer with 36 points. Washington’s effective field goal percentage was its biggest strength over Cleveland. The Wizards had a rate of 0.647 while the Cavaliers posted a mark of 0.516. Washington covered as a 3-point underdog and the two teams combined for 236 points, which was just over the projected point total of 231.5.
Of the Cavaliers’ 54 games, 29 have finished over the total. Cleveland heads into the contest with records of 14-40 straight up (SU) and 23-29-2 against the spread (ATS).
Of the Wizards’ 53 games, 31 have finished over the projected point total. Additionally, Washington owns records of 20-33 SU and 28-25 ATS.
It will be a battle of contrasting tempos as the fast-paced Wizards (ranked sixth in the league in possessions per game) will look to push the slower-paced Cavaliers (19th in possessions per game). Also, the Cavaliers rank fourth in offensive rebounding percentage (24.6 percent), while the Wizards rank 28th in defensive rebounding percentage (74.8 percent).
Cleveland Cavaliers vs. Washington Wizards Betting Pick
NBA Prediction: SU Winner – Wizards, ATS Winner – Wizards, O/U – Over
- The Wizards rank 12th in fast break points allowed per game (12.6) while the Cavaliers rank 25th (15.0).
- Washington averages 18.2 points off turnovers per game, which ranks sixth in the league. Cleveland ranks last in points off turnovers allowed per game (20.1).
- The Wizards rank 13th in steals allowed per game (7.3) while the Cavaliers rank last (9.1).
- Cleveland ranks fifth in rebounds allowed per game (43.1) while Washington ranks 22nd (46.5).
- Washington ranks 16th in blocks allowed per game (5.1) while Cleveland ranks 29th (6.4).
- The Cavaliers average 13.8 second chance points per game, which ranks ninth in the NBA. The Wizards rank 27th in second chance points allowed per game (15.2).
- The Cavaliers rank 12th in points in the paint per game (48.7) while the Wizards rank 27th in points allowed in the paint per game (52.2).
- Washington ranks 10th in assists per game (25.6) while Cleveland ranks 28th in assists allowed per game (26.0).
- When allowing less than 100 points, Cleveland is 4-3 and Washington is 4-0.
- When reaching 100 points, the Cavaliers are 13-27 and the Wizards are 18-31.
- Cleveland is 13-11-1 ATS on the road, while Washington is 14-12 ATS at home.
- The total has gone over in 14 of the Cavaliers’ 25 road games, while 14 of the Wizards’ 26 home games have gone over.
- The Wizards are 3-2 ATS over their last five games, while the Cavaliers are 2-3.
- In their last five games, Washington has 3 overs and 2 unders, while Cleveland has 3 unders and 2 overs.
- During their last five games, the Wizards have scored an average of 115.0 points per game (0.6 below their season average) and allowed an average of 111.8 points per game (8.0 below their season average).
- The Cavaliers’ average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 9.8, up from 8.9 for the season.