The Cleveland Cavaliers (17-41) will travel to the Smoothie King Center to square off with the New Orleans Pelicans (25-33). The game will air on Fox Sports – Ohio at 8 p.m. ET on Friday, February 28, 2020.
Cleveland Cavaliers at New Orleans Pelicans ATS Odds
The Cavaliers will be looking for a similar result after defeating the Philadelphia 76ers in their last outing, 108-94, as 7.5-point underdogs. The Pelicans, meanwhile, were beaten by the Los Angeles Lakers, 118-109, and failed to cover as 7-point underdogs. The Cleveland game went 14.5 points under the projected point total of 216.5, while the New Orleans game went 12 points under the projected point total of 239.
Cleveland played a nearly flawless game. They had a free throw rate of 0.192 (above their season average of 0.171) and an offensive rebounding percentage of 27.3 (above their season average of 24.7). Philadelphia was 0.101 and 16.7, respectively, for those same stats. New Orleans, meanwhile, did an excellent job of getting and making free throws (23-30; 76.7 percent). New Orleans rallied around Brandon Ingram, who contributed 34 points and seven rebounds. Larry Nance Jr., meanwhile had a good game for Cleveland, putting up 13 points and 15 rebounds.
In their first matchup this season, Jrue Holiday led the Pelicans to a 125-111 win. He was the game’s leading scorer with 28 points. New Orleans covered as an 8.5-point favorite and the two teams combined to put up 236 points, which was just over the projected point total of 232. New Orleans’ effective field goal percentage was its biggest strength over Cleveland. The Pelicans had a rate of 0.608 while the Cavaliers posted a mark of 0.490.
Of the Cavaliers’ 58 games, 31 have finished over the total. Cleveland holds records of 17-41 straight up (SU) and 26-30-2 against the spread (ATS).
Vegas has a tendency to place the total low when the Pelicans are involved, as 56.9 percent of their games have finished over the O/U total. Further, New Orleans owns records of 25-33 SU and 28-26-4 ATS.
The Cavaliers’ Tristan Thompson has been playing at a high level over his last five games, averaging 15 points,8.8 rebounds per game. Meanwhile, Zion Williamson has averaged 27 points,6.0 rebounds during that same time frame for the Pelicans.
New Orleans could have difficulty getting to the free throw line in this meeting. The Pelicans currently rank 23rd in the NBA with a free throw attempt (FTA) rate of 0.184, while Cleveland ranks second in FTA rate allowed (0.164).
Cleveland Cavaliers vs. New Orleans Pelicans Odds Pick
Pick: SU Winner – Pelicans, ATS Winner – Pelicans, O/U – Over
- The Pelicans rank 17th in points off turnovers per game (16.6) while the Cavaliers rank last in points off turnovers allowed per game (20.3).
- New Orleans averages 26.7 assists per game, which ranks third in the league. Cleveland ranks 28th in assists allowed per game (26.1).
- The Cavaliers rank 10th in points in the paint per game (48.8) while the Pelicans rank 26th in points allowed in the paint per game (52.8).
- New Orleans ranks fifth in three pointers attempted per game (37.9) while Cleveland ranks 19th (31.9).
- New Orleans ranks fifth in rebounds per game (46.6) while Cleveland ranks 19th (44.6).
- The Pelicans rank fifth in fast break points per game (16.9) while the Cavaliers rank 28th (10.1).
- The Cavaliers average 13.8 second chance points per game, which ranks 10th in the league. The Pelicans rank 24th in second chance points allowed per game (13.8).
- New Orleans ranks 18th in steals per game (7.4) while Cleveland ranks 28th in steals allowed per game (9.3).
- New Orleans ranks 10th in blocks allowed per game (4.7) while Cleveland ranks 29th (6.4).
- In games where they hold opponents below 100 points, Cleveland is 5-3 and New Orleans is 3-0.
- The Pelicans are 25-30 when they reach the century mark, while the Cavaliers are 16-28.
- Cleveland is 14-12-1 ATS on the road, while New Orleans is 14-14 ATS at home.
- The total has gone over in 16 of the Pelicans’ 28 home games, while 15 of the Cavaliers’ 27 road games have gone over.
- The Cavaliers are 4-1 ATS over their last five games, while the Pelicans are 3-2.
- In their last five games, Cleveland has 3 unders and 2 overs, while New Orleans has 3 overs and 2 unders.
- During their last five games, the Cavaliers have scored an average of 115.6 points per game (9.0 above their season average) and allowed an average of 110.0 points per game (4.7 below their season average).
- The Pelicans have outscored opponents by an average of 6.8 points in their last five games. For the season, New Orleans has been defeated by an average of 1.2 points.