Don’t expect a fast-paced game when the Cleveland Cavaliers (8-26), 10-point underdogs, visit Memphis to take on the Grizzlies (17-16). The game’s Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 196.5 points and it will air on Fox Sports – Ohio at 8 p.m. ET on Wednesday, December 26, 2018.
Cleveland Cavaliers at Memphis Grizzlies Betting Odds
The Grizzlies were victorious over the Los Angeles Lakers in their last outing, 107-99, despite being 5-point underdogs. The Cavaliers, on the other hand, were thoroughly outplayed by the Chicago Bulls, 112-92, and were not able to cover as 1-point underdogs. The Memphis game finished 4 points under the projected point total of 210, while the Cleveland game finished 4 points over the projected point total of 200.
The Grizzlies forced 16 turnovers and held the Lakers to an offensive rebounding percentage of 15.0 (below their season average of 22.3). Cleveland, meanwhile, had a better turnover percentage (10.9 vs. 11.4). Memphis’ Marc Gasol led the way, recording 17 points, nine rebounds and eight assists. Meanwhile, Larry Nance Jr. played a pivotal role for Cleveland with 20 points and six rebounds.
The Cavaliers dominated this series last year, winning both games. In the last game, Cleveland won 112-89. The Cavaliers’ offensive rebounding percentage was their largest advantage over the Grizzlies. Cleveland had a rate of 17.9, while Memphis posted a mark of 11.4. This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams.
Vegas has typically been fairly accurate when predicting totals of Cavaliers games, with 18 unders compared to 16 overs. Cleveland comes into the contest with records of 8-26 straight up (SU) and 16-18 against the spread (ATS).
Of the Grizzlies’ 33 games, 20 have finished under the total. Further, Memphis owns records of 17-16 SU and 17-16 ATS.
Half-court execution will be critical when a pair of the NBA’s slowest-paced teams face off. Memphis ranks 30th in possessions per game (97.6) and Cleveland is 29th (97.8).
Cleveland Cavaliers at Memphis Grizzlies Free Pick
Prediction: SU Winner – Grizzlies, ATS Winner – Grizzlies, O/U – Under
- The Cavaliers rank 24 in rebounds per game (43.3235294117647) while the Grizzlies rank last (39.696969696969695).
- Memphis ranks first in blocks per game (6.2) while Cleveland ranks 28th (2.6).
- The Grizzlies rank second in points allowed in the paint per game (42.0) while the Cavaliers rank 21st (50.6).
- Cleveland ranks 12th in second chance points per game (13.6) while Memphis ranks 28th (9.7).
- Cleveland ranks 17 in fast break points allowed per game (13.676470588235293) while Memphis ranks 25 (15.363636363636363).
- The Grizzlies rank fifth in steals per game (8.9) while the Cavaliers rank 27th (6.7).
- The Grizzlies rank 20 in assists per game (23.12121212121212) while the Cavaliers rank last (19.735294117647058).
- Neither of these teams shoot many long balls. Memphis is 26 in the NBA with 27.363636363636363 three pointers per game while Cleveland is 27 with 25.205882352941178 threes per game.
- Memphis ranks eighth in points off turnovers per game (18.2) while Cleveland ranks last (13.4).
- Memphis is 9-3 when they allow below 100 points, while Cleveland is 3-2.
- The Grizzlies are 12-4 when they reach the century mark, while the Cavaliers are 6-13.
- Cleveland is 9-7 ATS on the road, while Memphis is 9-6 ATS at home.
- The total has gone under in 8 of the Grizzlies’ 15 home games, while 10 of the Cavaliers’ 16 road games have gone under.
- The Cavaliers are 2-3 ATS over their last five games, while the Grizzlies are 1-4.
- In their last five games, Cleveland has 3 overs and 2 unders, while Memphis has 4 unders and 1 push.
- During their last five games, the Cavaliers have scored an average of 99.6 points per game (3.2 below their season average) and allowed an average of 113.4 points per game (1.8 above their season average).
- The Grizzlies’ average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 5.4, up from 0.2 for the season.