A high-scoring game should be expected when the Houston Rockets (8-3) and the Cleveland Cavaliers (5-6) battle at Toyota Center. The game’s Over/Under (O/U) opened at 228 points with Houston set as a 5-point favorite. Action starts at 8 p.m. ET on Thursday, November 9, 2017, and it can be seen on TNT.
Cleveland Cavaliers vs. Houston Rockets Free Preview
The last time the Cavaliers played, they were victorious over the Milwaukee Bucks, 124-119. Kevin Love led Cleveland in scoring with 32 points on 9-for-14 shooting. Cleveland dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had a ridiculous free throw rate of 0.402 (above their season average of 0.231) and a turnover percentage of 10.8 (better than their season average of 14.2). For those same stats, Milwaukee was 0.145 and 15.9, respectively.
The Rockets come in on a high note after dismantling the Utah Jazz in their last outing, 137-110. Houston received a boost from James Harden, who was the game’s high scorer with 56 points on 19-for-25 shooting. Houston’s effective field goal percentage was their biggest strength over Utah. The Rockets had a rate of 0.735 (above their season average of 0.529), while the Jazz posted a mark of 0.506.
The high-octane offense of Houston (second in the league with an offensive efficiency of 109.3) will face off against the porous defense of Cleveland (30th in the league with a defensive efficiency of 113.4). The Rockets should have the advantage on that side of the ball.
Of Cleveland’s 11 games, seven have finished over the O/U total, while 6 of Houston’s 11 games have finished under the projected point total. The Rockets hold a sizable advantage in terms of straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records. They are 8-3 SU and 6-5 ATS, while the Cavaliers are 5-6 SU and 2-8-1 ATS.
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams, after splitting two games last season. The Rockets won the most recent contest 117-112. The Rockets played a nearly flawless game. They had an absurd offensive rebounding percentage of 37.0 and a phenomenally low turnover percentage of 5.2. The Cavaliers put up marks of 11.1 and 14.9, respectively, for those same stats.
Cleveland Cavaliers at Houston Rockets Betting Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Rockets, ATS Winner – Rockets, O/U – Over
- The Cavaliers rank 12th in points off turnovers per game (18.0) while the Rockets rank 20th in points off turnovers allowed per game (18.0).
- Cleveland ranks fourth in blocks allowed per game (4.1) while Houston ranks eighth (4.5).
- Houston ranks second in second chance points allowed per game (8.8) while Cleveland ranks ninth (11.2).
- Houston averages 8.5 steals per game, which ranks sixth in the NBA. Cleveland ranks seventh in steals allowed per game (7.6).
- Cleveland is 2-2 ATS on the road with 3 overs and 1 under.
- At home, Houston is 2-2 ATS with 2 overs and 2 unders.
- In games where they allow less than 100 points, Houston is 3-1 and Cleveland is 2-0.
- The Rockets are 8-1 when they score above 100 points, while the Cavaliers are 5-4.
- The Cavaliers rank ninth in points in the paint per game (45.8) while the Rockets rank 14th in points allowed in the paint per game (42.4).
- Houston averages 44.5 three pointers per game, which ranks first in the league. Cleveland ranks 25th in three pointers allowed per game (31.9).
- The Rockets rank 13th in assists allowed per game (22.5) while the Cavaliers rank 26th (27.1).
- The Rockets rank fourth in rebounds allowed per game (41.4) while the Cavaliers rank eighth (41.9).
- Houston ranks 14th in fast break points per game (9.6) while Cleveland ranks 25th (6.6).
- Houston is 3-2 ATS with 4 overs and 1 under in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Cleveland is 1-3-1 ATS with 4 overs and 1 under.
- The Rockets’ average margin of victory in their last five games has been 8.4, up from 6.6 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Cavaliers have scored an average of 114.2 points per game (4.3 above their season average) and allowed an average of 119.2 points per game (5.3 above their season average).