The Cleveland Cavaliers (5-17) and the Boston Celtics (16-5) face off at TD Garden. The Cavaliers will try to put an end to their six-game losing streak. Action begins at 7:30 p.m. ET on Monday, December 9, 2019.
Cleveland Cavaliers at Boston Celtics Betting Odds
The last time the Celtics played, they easily covered the 3.5-point spread against the Denver Nuggets, 108-95. The Cavaliers, on the other hand, were blown out by the Philadelphia 76ers, 141-94, and were unable to cover as 10.5-point underdogs. The Boston game went 2.5 points under the projected point total of 205.5, while the Cleveland game finished 20 points over the projected point total of 215.
Boston’s effective field goal percentage was their biggest strength over Denver. The Celtics had a rate of 0.616 (above their season average of 0.509), while the Nuggets posted a mark of 0.441 (below their season average of 0.510). Cleveland, meanwhile, did an excellent job of converting from the charity stripe (13-17; 76.5 percent). Jayson Tatum had a solid performance for Boston with 26 points, seven rebounds and five assists. Darius Garland had a solid performance for Cleveland, finishing with 17 points and five rebounds.
In their first matchup this year, Gordon Hayward led the Celtics to a 119-113 victory. He scored a game-high 39 points. Boston covered as a 6-point favorite and the two teams combined for 232 points, which was well over the projected point total of 216.5. Boston’s 0.635 effective field goal percentage was its biggest advantage over Cleveland, who had a rate of 0.489.
Vegas has typically been fairly accurate when setting the O/U total of Cavaliers games, with 12 unders compared to 10 overs. Cleveland heads into the contest with records of 5-17 straight up (SU) and 8-12-2 against the spread (ATS).
Of the Celtics’ 21 games, 13 have finished under the total. Additionally, Boston owns records of 16-5 SU and 13-7-1 ATS.
Half-court execution will be at a premium when a pair of the NBA’s slowest-paced teams clash. Boston ranks 21st in possessions per game (101.8) and Cleveland is 24th (101.2).
Cavaliers at Celtics Pick
Free Prediction: SU Winner – Cavaliers, ATS Winner – Cavaliers, O/U – Over
- The Celtics rank 14th in second chance points per game (13.1) while the Cavaliers rank 22nd in second chance points allowed per game (13.6).
- Boston ranks second in points allowed in the paint per game (41.3) while Cleveland ranks 29th (52.5).
- The Celtics rank first in steals allowed per game (5.9) while the Cavaliers rank 22nd (8.4).
- Boston ranks ninth in points off turnovers per game (18.4) while Cleveland ranks 29th (13.6).
- Cleveland ranks eighth in three pointers allowed per game (32.3) while Boston ranks 25th (35.7).
- The Celtics average 5.8 blocks per game, which ranks sixth in the league. The Cavaliers rank 29th in blocks allowed per game (7.2).
- The Celtics rank third in fast break points allowed per game (11.8) while the Cavaliers rank 23rd (14.2).
- Cleveland ranks 21st in rebounds per game (43.6) while Boston ranks 24th in rebounds allowed per game (46.6).
- Boston ranks sixth in assists allowed per game (22.6) while Cleveland ranks 29th (26.4).
- In games where they allow below 100 points, Cleveland is 2-3 and Boston is 5-1.
- The Celtics are 15-2 when they reach 100 points, while the Cavaliers are 5-9.
- Cleveland is 4-5-1 ATS on the road, while Boston is 6-3 ATS at home.
- The total has gone under in 5 of the Celtics’ 9 home games, while 5 of the Cavaliers’ 10 road games have gone over.
- In their last five games, Cleveland and Boston have both had 3 overs and 2 unders.
- The Celtics are 4-1 ATS over their last five games, while the Cavaliers are 1-4.
- During their last five games, the Celtics have scored an average of 112.2 points per game (1.5 above their season average) and allowed an average of 102.8 points per game (0.7 below their season average).
- The Cavaliers’ average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 21.4, up from 10.3 for the season.