A nine-game home winning streak hangs in the balance for the Boston Celtics (29-18), who will be 17.5-point favorites when they welcome the Cleveland Cavaliers (9-39) to TD Garden. The game’s Over/Under (O/U) opened at 216 points and action starts at 7:30 p.m. ET on Wednesday, January 23, 2019.
Cleveland Cavaliers at Boston Celtics ATS Odds
Neither team was able to cover in their last game. The Celtics (9.5-point favorites) beat the Miami Heat, 107-99, while the Cavaliers (3-point underdogs) fell to the Chicago Bulls, 104-88. The Boston game finished 6.5 points under the projected point total of 212.5, while the Cleveland game went 21 points under the projected point total of 213.
Boston’s effective field goal percentage was their largest advantage over Miami. The Celtics had a rate of 0.563 (above their season average of 0.532), while the Heat posted a mark of 0.483. Cleveland, meanwhile, forced Chicago into a turnover percentage of 17.4 (above their season average of 13.1). Kyrie Irving played a pivotal role for Boston with 26 points, 10 assists and eight steals. Cleveland, meanwhile, was lifted by Ante Zizic, who finished with 13 points and nine rebounds.
In their first matchup this season, Irving led the Celtics to a 128-95 win. He scored a game-high 29 points. Boston covered as a 13-point favorite and the two teams combined to put up 223 points, which was well over the projected point total of 207. The Celtics’ offensive rebounding percentage was their biggest strength over the Cavaliers. Boston had a rate of 30.8, while Cleveland posted a mark of 20.5.
A little over half of the Cavaliers’ games have finished over the total. Cleveland holds records of 9-39 straight up (SU) and 20-27-1 against the spread (ATS).
Celtics games tend to finish over the total (59.6 percent). Further, Boston owns records of 29-18 SU and 24-23 ATS.
Half-court execution will be of utmost importance when a pair of the NBA’s slowest-paced teams go head-to-head. Boston ranks 21st in possessions per game (101.7) and Cleveland is 29th (98.0). Moreover, the Cavaliers rank 23rd in offensive efficiency (104.6), while the Celtics rank fourth in defensive efficiency (103.3).
Cavaliers at Celtics Free Pick
Prediction: SU Winner – Celtics, ATS Winner – Celtics, O/U – Over
- The Celtics rank 17th in rebounds per game (45.0) while the Cavaliers rank 25th (41.8).
- Boston ranks fifth in points off turnovers per game (18.7) while Cleveland ranks last (13.5).
- The Celtics rank ninth in blocks per game (5.6) while the Cavaliers rank 29th (2.6).
- Boston ranks sixth in steals per game (8.8) while Cleveland ranks 25th (6.8).
- Boston ranks eighth in fast break points per game (16.4) while Cleveland ranks 25th (10.3).
- The Celtics rank third in three pointers attempted per game (35.8) while the Cavaliers rank 27th (25.9).
- The Celtics rank fifth in points allowed in the paint per game (44.8) while the Cavaliers rank 22nd (50.7).
- Boston ranks sixth in assists per game (25.9) while Cleveland ranks 29th (20.0).
- Boston is 10-2 when they allow less than 100 points, while Cleveland is 4-3.
- In games where they score over 100 points, the Celtics are 29-14 and the Cavaliers are 7-19.
- Boston is 15-8 ATS at home, while Cleveland is 12-12-1 ATS on the road.
- The Cavaliers have 13 unders, 11 overs and 1 push in 25 road games.
- Of the Celtics’ 23 home games, they have 14 overs and 9 unders.
- In their last five games, Cleveland and Boston have both had 3 unders and 2 overs.
- The Celtics are 2-3 ATS over their last five games, while the Cavaliers are 1-3-1.
- During their last five games, the Celtics have scored an average of 112.2 points per game (0.2 above their season average) and allowed an average of 107.4 points per game (1.6 above their season average).
- The Cavaliers’ average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 13.0, up from 11.2 for the season.